• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Google's new, free, OS Flex for old PC's and Macs

Started by ssfc72, February 19, 2022, 09:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://www.republicworld.com/technology-news/other-tech-news/how-os-flex-is-different-from-chrome-os-heres-all-you-need-to-know-articleshow.html

A somewhat informative article on the new, free to download OS Flex, by Google. This OS is meant to be used by old PC's and Macs that are no longer supported by their original OS.
Flex OS is based  on the Google Chrome OS but does have some limitations and being new, it will have some glitches. Like Chrome OS, Flex OS is a Cloud based OS.

The question I have is, why would any PC user with an older PC bother with this Flex OS, when they can install a Linux Distro made for older computers and therefore have a huge selections of programs to use, from the Linux Repositories?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 19, 2022, 09:08:32 AM
The question I have is, why would any PC user with an older PC bother with this Flex OS, when they can install a Linux Distro made for older computers and therefore have a huge selections of programs to use, from the Linux Repositories?

That's a good question. I guess you'd just have to like Chrome OS. And if you're already deep into the Google ecosystem (e.g. Google Docs, Sheets, etc.). It has obvious advantages for Google (selling more advertising by making you use the Google search engine). Some people might install it just because it has the Google name. I'd rather have a real Linux distro myself but I'd give it a try as I've never used Chrome OS so it'd be interesting to get a look at it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Forgot to add, Chrome OS can run Android apps now, I believe. So perhaps this does, too? That's something Linux can't do, at least not with an emulator that would require a modern processor and more than 4 GB of RAM.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

I believe in the article, it said Flex can not run Android apps.

Quote from: Jason on February 19, 2022, 08:29:36 PM
Forgot to add, Chrome OS can run Android apps now, I believe. So perhaps this does, too? That's something Linux can't do, at least not with an emulator that would require a modern processor and more than 4 GB of RAM.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 20, 2022, 03:30:30 AM
I believe in the article, it said Flex can not run Android apps.

I see that now. That's a real drawback in my mind. It also notes that you will rely on the OEM for updates which is pretty much like with phones. But I think a computer should have a higher level of security than that. You'd get it with Linux being constantly updated but not with this OS.

Jason

Here's another article that delves a bit more into Chrome OS Flex (that's what Google calls it). I'm providing the Pocket version of the article as the original is difficult for reading (rows are too wide). You'd have to go to the original to see the screenshot. One thing the article mentions is that Google will be providing updates, a claim that is different from the one in Bill's linked article which says OEMs will be providing updates.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3649716/chrome-os-flex.amp.html?utm_source=pocket_mylist

Here's another interesting article, although it's about the Chrome OS which is a bit different, that helps you decide if Chrome OS is for you. The only real difference I see between it and Chrome OS Flex is that Flex doesn't support Android apps (yet). Once that happens, you'd have access to even more apps than Linux. One of the advantages of using Chrome OS is that it's lighter in resources than Windows (great for older machines) and an administrator/teacher/manager can control and share files from one central point. It's one of the reasons that schools are starting to use it. So Google is hoping to make inroads to the enterprise market since they may have many older machines.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2893364/is-chrome-os-right-for-you.html

ssfc72

So on the Google web page to sign up for a download of Google Flex OS, they require you to put in your "job title"?
So I put in, JOAT.   Jack Of All Trades. HA Ha!

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 24, 2022, 07:57:43 AM
So on the Google web page to sign up for a download of Google Flex OS, they require you to put in your "job title"?
So I put in, JOAT.   Jack Of All Trades. HA Ha!

Nice! They're pushing it at corporations so they probably want to know if you're an IT guy or a manager, etc. Or an educator if you plan on using it in that setting. At least you can enter something. I hate the websites that ask you to enter a title that is nowhere near what you do or specific enough. I know I don't do anything that pays money other than being a mystery shopper but I kind of volunteer - it's complicated.