• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Asus RT AC68U wifi router - running PIA VPN on router

Started by ssfc72, February 13, 2017, 07:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Since I use the PIA VPN, I went to their website to see if their VPN could be run directly on my Asus AC68U wifi router.

Turns out, PIA can be installed on the router if it has been flashed with the AsusWRT-Merlin software.  PIA gives step by step instructions on how to set this up on the Merlin software. :-)

Also, PIA can be installed on a router which is running the DD-WRT router software.  The Asus AC68U is apparently able to be flashed with the DD-WRT software. :-)
The PIA provides step by step instructions for installing PIA on routers that are running the DD-WRT software.

I think I might have a go at installing the AsusWRT-Merlin software, to my Asus AC68U router, :-)

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Cool! When did you start using PIA, Bill? Was it partly as a result of my presentation or had you been using it previously?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I was using PIA for a few months before your presentation.  I had done some Googling for a VPN and they seemed to be a reputable business with a good price for a 1 yr service subscription.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Cool. I've had a good run with them, too. I have noticed, very rarely, that some websites will either block one of the VPN server locations or require you to check the box that says "I'm not a robot" to get in. That's understandable since VPNs mean a lot of users can be coming from one location and some websites are trying to block spambots or worse, attackers, when they detect a lot of sudden visitors from one IP.

I'm just pointing this out in case anybody comes across this behaviour. If you're blocked, just switch to another location and you'll be fine. I've only noticed this happen with maybe 1 in 1000 website visits for an outright block. Usually I get the robot thing if I get any different response at all and that's usually when required to fill out a form of some kind.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13