• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Brave browser - Page Unresponsive Notice from certain websites

Started by ssfc72, January 24, 2022, 10:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Using the Brave browser, I have been having a number of websites throwing up a "Page Unresponsive" Notice.  It gives me a choice of Cancelling or Wait.  If I click on Wait, this Page Unresponsive keeps popping back up, after about a minute later.  This goes on for a few minutes, until it finally does let me click on something on the website page.
At the bottom of my monitor window, I can see some text showing that the browser is waiting for a response from the website.

This happens on the canadiantire.ca website, the kijiji.ca website and a few others.
I tried to turn off the Brave blocking , from the Triangle symbol in the address bar, but it didn't seem to fix the issue.

Librewolf browser does not have this issue.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Hmm. I'm not having any trouble using Brave on either the Can Tire or Kijiji websites, and the Brave shield is on. This is on my 2019 iMac running Ubuntu 20.10. Can you try it on a different distro or a different computer?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Strangely, I had a similar problem but it was only with one specific website - my bank website (rbcroyalbank.com). At some point, it seemed to fix itself and then it came back. I think the problem is related to RBC using non-standard code. Because the problem recurred when they undertook a website re-design. I haven't had it with any other issues. If you post a couple of the websites you're having trouble with, I could check them in my version of Brave.

This post should be under Support assuming you want assistance and aren't just pointing out a problem. :) Either way, I'd like to help if I can so just let us know if you want to fix it.

1. I'm using Linux Lite (based on Ubuntu 20.04), what are you using?

2. And do you have any other browser tabs open when it happens?

3. What extensions are you using?

4. Have you tried running the browser after turning off all the extensions?

Maybe we can find overlap. And do list at least 1 or 2 of the websites you are having the issue with if you don't mind, so we can test them.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

On the kijiji.ca website, I am on the login webpage, when I get the "page not responsive" notice, when I try to enter my login credentials.
On the main kijiji.ca webpage, there is no problem with getting a response when clicking on kijiji search box or other icons.

Quote from: fox on January 24, 2022, 07:53:11 PM
Hmm. I'm not having any trouble using Brave on either the Can Tire or Kijiji websites, and the Brave shield is on. This is on my 2019 iMac running Ubuntu 20.10. Can you try it on a different distro or a different computer?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

fox

Quote from: ssfc72 on January 26, 2022, 05:54:27 AM
On the kijiji.ca website, I am on the login webpage, when I get the "page not responsive" notice, when I try to enter my login credentials.
I just tried that, and I can log in. However, my credentials are remembered. So I logged out and then logged in with the credentials automatically supplied. That might create a difference from your situation.

ssfc72

So, on my notebook computer running MXLinux, there is a slight delay on the Kijiji.ca Login webpage, before it will respond to my typed in login credentials. Not like the very very long delay, with my Mint 20.1 notebook computer.
On the canadiantire.ca webpage there is a a very slight, but noticeable, delay in responding to my input on the web page, with the MXLinux Brave browser distro.

Jason

I obviously read your initial post too fast! I didn't see that you had mentioned some sites. Anyway, I checked the Kijiji and Canadian Tire websites and I'm getting the same behaviour. In fact, with Canadian Tire, I think it took almost a minute before it was usable. I saw the "page unresponsive" notice for Kijiji.ca  but didn't get one for Canadian Tire. Once I used autofill for login (using BitWarden), I didn't have any other problems with it.

Very weird. Did you try my suggestions regarding extensions, Bill? I have to do so some other stuff but I'll try and see if I can fix the issue that way, too.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

For what it's worth, the only extension I have on Brave are Gnome Shell Integration, Pocket and Google Translate.

ssfc72

Thanks Fox and Jason for your help.
Jason, I only have 2 extensions running on the Brave browser. I turned them both off and it did not fix the problem. I only have the one browser tab open.
I am currently running Mint 20.1 so looks like I will go ahead and do the upgrade to 20.3

Jason

I don't expect that upgrading Mint will help with this problem as Brave is a separate install, AFAIK. But... if these websites are using Java, or at least those pages, upgrading the distro will likely upgrade the version of Java included. So, who knows? Linux Lite is still based on 20.04 and I think that version of Mint is based on 21.10? Let us know if it helps. I might look at getting a lightweight distro that uses a more updated version of Ubuntu under the hood if it does.

Jason

Have you upgraded yet, Bill? Did it help with those sites?

I was trying out Lubuntu again and using the most recent version, 20.10. Kijiji still has the same issue but Canadian Tire didn't freeze this time. Hard to know if it's that I am using a different setup with Brave though since it went back to its default and I had to change settings to how I like them. It's possible that my settings weren't exactly the same and one of them is the cause.

Jason

I also just tried turning off all the extensions and visiting Kijiji again and still had the freeze at the login page. I was wondering what might be different between those websites and the one thing I thought of was that Canadian Tire asked if it could check my locaton and I said yes. Kijiji didn't ask.

Mike, can you confirm whether or Kijiji asked for location permission and if you granted it (or didn't?) and if it still freezes at the login page (with you logged out?). You can check in your settings if you forget. Do a search for Location and Brave will will show you what section(s) it appears in. I'm wondering if the location permission request is getting mishandled.

fox

I had Brave set on "not allowed to see your location". When I signed in to Kijiji, it didn't ask me for my location. But that might be because I'm a regular Kijiji user and Kijiji itself probably knows my location. When I pull up Kijiji, the location search box shows Peterborough and a certain distance from Peterborough. Even when I sign out, that location remains in the box. As I recall, when you set up an account, you give it your location. In fact that was causing me some trouble when I wanted certain of my ads to appear in the GTA listing. I had to create a second account and pretend that I lived in Oshawa (might have been Whitby). When I created the second account, I gave it a postal code in one of those places.

ssfc72

Not yet. I need to image the SSD for a backup before I do the upgrade to Mint 20.3. And before I do that I need to off load a lot of large files such as movies,audiobooks, ISO's etc so that I don't have a large image to back up.

Quote from: Jason on January 29, 2022, 05:11:42 PM
Have you upgraded yet, Bill? Did it help with those sites?

I was trying out Lubuntu again and using the most recent version, 20.10. Kijiji still has the same issue but Canadian Tire didn't freeze this time. Hard to know if it's that I am using a different setup with Brave though since it went back to its default and I had to change settings to how I like them. It's possible that my settings weren't exactly the same and one of them is the cause.