• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Kora theme for Ubuntu (and other Linux distros)

Started by Jason, February 23, 2023, 12:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

The icons in this theme look lovely. I think I can use them in Pop OS but I haven't tried them yet.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2022/12/kora-icon-theme?utm_source=pocket_saves

The article is brief; the attached screenshot takes up as much space as the article.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Beat you to it. I've been using Kora icons for about a month. I really like them.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Of course; I know you read OMGUbuntu regularly.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

I don't try all the themes and icon sets mentioned in OMG Ubuntu articles, but I do at least look at most of them. Kora really appealed to me. It has especially nice icons for LibreOffice apps, settings, contacts and rhythmbox; much nicer than the Ubuntu defaults. And these are visible all the time in my dock. It doesn't change all of the icons from the default (Yaru). For example, Firefox, Thunderbird and Brave icons are unaltered. Not sure why; these could use a spice-up too.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Maybe they asked but Firefox, Thunderbird (markedly, both from Mozilla) and Brave didn't want their icons altered. Many companies, even non-profit organizations, see it as a branding issue. It might even be something in the licensing of the different programs.

Btw, I couldn't see how to do the icons in Pop OS without installing the Ubuntu extensions. And I don't really want to add other options since it defeats the very reason I'm using it.

I put them in the right spot according to the article but can't seem to figure out how to get it to "see" them. I suppose I could just change the new icons to match the names of the regular icons if they're the same size. I'll have to look into this when I have a free minute to waste. :)