• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Trinity Desktop Environment (with PCLinuxOS)

Started by kalabaster, January 16, 2022, 04:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalabaster

Oddly enough I was posting about the reality of " cooties " in this modern day and age when I haps to stumble across a thread on Trinity DE for PCLinux. I just recently configured a donated PC with the latest release ( Sept/Oct 2021 ) and have to say I am enjoying the wee bit of nostalgia that it affords. I tend to migrate to GUI and this distro is not short in that regard. As well it can suitably run an older Core i7 PC with 12 Gig RAM & SSD. So ya, Xmas came late and with money saved I may be the new proud owner of a Sr. Galaxy S9 !                                                              Also Jason I now have a PC or 2 for donation and I believe at one time you were asking. How do I get it to you?                                                                                https://linuxdistros.org/torrents/community-pclinuxos64-trinity-bigdaddy-2021-09.html                                                                                        Koin-op kalabaster
MACbook Pro 1501, Catalina| ASUS ROG Crosshair AMD PCLinux | HP AIO Elite, Win 10 Pro| HP Folio 14, Win 10 Pro| ASUS M32CD, PCLinux/Trinity

Jason

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

" I haps to stumble across a thread on Trinity DE for PCLinux."

I used it a while ago in Q4OS, where Trinity is one of their two DEs. Quick and pleasant. It is appears to be in continuous development by Slávek Banko. Wiki has a page devoted to it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Desktop_Environment

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I haven't tried it but looking at it makes me feel nostalgic.

Based on the screenshots I've looked at it reminds me of the KDE desktop environment (DE) of old, back in the 3.x series, long before it would become the Plasma desktop environment. Back then, they had an included program, Konqueror, that was not only an exceptionally capable web browser but also a file manager, a remote desktop client, an FTP client and more. I think at that time, most of us were using KDE as it came with the majority of distributions, unlike the nascent Gnome DE. I should just read the wiki page on it but I believe it's quite fast on the most anemic of computers as well.

Thank you both for reminding me of this lovely desktop environment. I'm having a really tough time this morning so it's good to be reminded of the fonder memories.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13