• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ventoy, a multi-boot OS installer

Started by fox, December 11, 2021, 08:15:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Found out about it from this article. I want to try it, so I went to the website to grab a download. There were two versions for Linux: an iso and a tar.gz file. Unclear to me which one to use, or if there is any difference between them. I would want to use it to try out different distros, not necessarily to install one.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Thanks for the tip, Mike.  I will check it out.

Sounds like YUMI multiboot, which I currently use with my usb pen flash/pen drives.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I had two posts that I deleted because I think I've found the answer. From the manual:

Quote1. Ventoy LiveCD is only for Windows users and only needed when Ventoy2Disk.exe always fail.

So you need the tar.gz version. You unzip it and then you run the GUI or CLI version to install it to a USB drive.

In the /home/jason/Downloads/ventoy-1.0.62/tool/x86_64/ directory (for modern PCs) There are various programs in there, one of which you execute depending on the environment, gtk2, qt, etc. (if you want a GUI) or for the CLI interface, there's a script you run. To run the appropriate program, you'll have to make it executable. The file manager will let you do this or you can do it at the command line:

$ chmod +x foobar (foobar because I'm not sure of the actual name as I edit this post!)

Looks like you'll need to run it as root as well. I think most file managers will let you do this when you right-click on them. Or you can use sudo at the command line.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13