• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Astronomy video/narrative clip about Nebula's, in the night sky

Started by ssfc72, December 08, 2021, 03:37:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://www.space.com/hubble-telescope-running-man-nebula-collision-image

A very nice, short 4 minute video clip about the different Nebula's that the Hubble telescope has imaged, in the night sky.

Scroll down the page a bit to get to the video clip. Click on the  icon in the video, to show the video in full screen.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Thanks, Bill! The information about them, as well as the gorgeous pictures, make it well worth the time to look. Most of those nebulae I've never seen before. I wonder if any of them show up well in a pair of binoculars. Btw, have you checked out the comet yet?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

You would need a good size amateur telescope to see any nebula and then any colours would be extremely faint.
I learned some new information about nebula, from this video.  The nebula light can be from the nebula itself or light from  star(s) nearby.

Comet Leonard is currently low in the eastern sky, before dawn.  Our weather has been too cloudy, so far, to be able to see anything in the night sky.  The long range forecast is continuing to show cloud in the pre dawn hours, until the morning of Dec. 12.
I hope to be able to try and locate Leonard with binoculars, a couple of hours before sunrise, at that time.  Hopefully it will still be high enough in the eastern sky, at that time to see it above the houses, at my location.

Update, I looked up comet Leonard on my Skymap mapping program, on my computer, to see how far above the Eastern horizon the comet will be on Dec. 12.  Unfortunately, for our location, the comet before sunrise will be extremely low in the horizon and therefore very hard to see.  I would have to find a high hill to see the comet and I don't think I will be driving before sunrise, to do that. :-(
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

There was a bit of that issue with the lunar eclipse when I was watching it, too. But the clouds were wispy and uncommon enough that I could get some good long looks in. It was hard to keep my hands steady. Have to look into getting a tripod. Maybe next Spring I could take some peeks through your telescope assuming we're still not in a pandemic which isn't necessarily a safe assumption.

Have you taken any pictures of objects or the night sky, Bill? And how powerful is your telescope?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I have a quality Unitron 3" refractor and a cheapy 4.5" goto drive telescope.  The Unitron has a focal length of F1500 so it is very nice to use, to look at the planets and Sun. I was able to clearly see the black spot on Jupiter, that an asteroid made when it hit Jupiter many years ago

I have taken some pictures using the Unitron, of the sun and moon, during eclipses.