• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Apocalypse Internet

Started by Jason, November 25, 2021, 09:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Yay, we got our Internet back today. Modem died on Saturday morning. It was on life-support with the power light flickering like a candle in the wind. Another day or two and it'd have gone to that great resting place where modems go to meet their friends they haven't seen for years.

I convinced a neighbour to let us sponge off their WiFi until a new modem was shipped out and activated today. It's so good to be back! Complimentary speed test attached, of course. :) I'm not bragging. It's just grand that we get exactly what I pay for (40 Mbps) and then some.

I know a few of you have connections so fast that pages load before you finish clicking the bookmark, including one guy who isn't paying for it. But the only task we do that requires speed is watching tv shows and movies and downloading the odd Linux ISO. An Ultra HD movie (1080p) requires only a 5 Mbps connection, and 4K requires 25 Mbps. I can download the typical Linux distro in 5 minutes. I guess when we get something that can do 4 K video, then we'll get something faster so we can both watch stuff.

Despite two price increases, Carrytel still appears to be the cheapest provider at $40/month ($30/month if you're new). And though it took a while, they were very good to deal with. I wasn't on support for too long and they called when the modem arrived at the post office for pickup and then again when it was activated.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Glad to hear you're connected once again, Jason.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13