• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

ROAD TRIP! <^8#

Started by bobf, February 06, 2017, 12:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobf

At one of our last MUGs, we scheduled our next road trip for this Saturday, February 11, primarily this time to Creatron in Scarborough for at least a couple of Raspberry Pis, more details to follow. Generally we fill a car, we've been known to rendezvous in Bethany, descend upon either the Markham-Unionville or Oshawa CanadaComputer stores, head off to Creatron, Sayal Electronics, or both, and Bill mentioned a stop out Steeles Ave. West to some radio-oriented store as well.

Please add your replies if you're interested in: a) joining us, b) suggesting a location we hadn't considered that might be of interest, or c) having some item(s) of interest the others can pick up for you during our outing.

See you there! <^8#

Jason

I'm interested though sadly, I won't be a buyer. At least I will know what is available out there for future road trips.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

bobf

Oh, c'mon, Jason; sell a couple of your chickens and splurge! <^8#

OK, so far we have Mike, looking for a Pi (presumably at Creatron, as am I); Jason, with or without fewer chickens and a few shekels in his pocket; Glen (damnit, what's his last name?!) - Goslin, from Oshawa, who we'll remap the road trip for, and also suggested Sayal Electronics (I'd suggest the one at Woodbine & 14th, rather than the one on Vic Park & Gordon Baker Rd., it's bigger - I *think*), Bill just *might* join us, hoping we make it to Radio World (I know *exactly* where that is, Bill, I used to live a couple of miles [yes, friggin' MILES, I said! <^8#] from there, have eaten at the Mickey D's across the street, and stayed in the hotel behind it...) OK, who am I forgetting?

So far, I believe the itinerary maps out thus:

Rendezvous with Glen at the CanadaComputers in Oshawa (/Timmy's across the street - or a pit stop thereafter); on to Creatron, which has a WHACK o' stuff, but very small - with enough attendees, we could make it hard to move around in there). Up Pharmacy Ave./Esna Park/Rodick Rd. to Riviera Dr., to Woodbine, voila! Sayal Electronics...

Time permitting, we could continue from there across Hwy 7 (or the 407?) to Hwy 400, down to Steeles Ave again and over to Radio World before calling it a day! <whew!> And Glen had also suggested A1 Electronics, down at Hwy 427 & the Queensway, where there's another CanadaComputers I haven't been in before... And was there something else down that way? In any event, I doubt we'll make it beyond Radio World, for lack of time, but... I guess you never know! <^8#

Does that sound about right to everyone?

fox

I'm definitely up for it, stopping at Creatron Canada Computers and wherever else anyone wants to stop. What time are we thinking of leaving/returning, Bob?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

bobf

Off-hand, I'd think 10am... That ought to put us in Oshawa by 11am, on the road again for 11:30am-noon, depending on pit stop, in and out of Creatron by 1pm, to Sayal by 1:30pm-2pm, depending on a stop for lunch vittles... Maybe out to Radio World by 3pm, additionals by consensus, and I *never* wanna head home until the stores all close! <^8#

Extremely ambitious, I fear; we'll have to be efficient in our stops to make it all happen - and if we *do* have more time, I'm definitely up for A1 Electronics as well, if everyone else is up to it! I've only heard of it, so I'd like to scope it out if we actually have the chance, see what it's got to offer. I'd hate to have to make that trip repeatedly without a really good reason...

ssfc72

I am going to pass on the road trip, guys.  The weather might make the roads a bit messy, for tomorrow.
Maybe by Spring time, we might need some more gadgets and have another road trip.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

bobf

Gentlemen, good and true... You know I hate to say it, but the weather predicts, amongst other things, freezing drizzle for both tonight and tomorrow.

I have no problem with most weather-related issues, but a near-zero coefficient of static friction is a definite exception. To the uninitiated, SLIPPERY IS BAD! <^8#

Let's keep an eye on next weekend, and see if it provides a better forecast. Sorry, guys! >^8#

Jason

I'd be okay waiting for the Spring or least next month. I should be able to afford a base Pi by then. :D
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

bobf

Well, it's not like it'll be the most epic, last time only, road trip we ever do - things like Bill's mention of Radio World, up on Steeles Ave. W. near Hwy. 400 is a place I might never otherwise have found out about, and Glen mentioned A1 Electronics out in Mississauga by Sherway Gardens (WOW!! I had a look at Google Maps of the area, and O*M*G!! The last time I was out there, there was a scrap yard on the north-east corner of North Queen St. & The Queensway!  That whole area has been taken over by big box and outlet-ty stores! How the little scruddy industrial building housing A1 Electronics and another couple of little industrial companies has managed to avoid demolition in the name of commerce I *can't* imagine! <^8#)

And can we have a moment of silence for Active Surplus... <^8# Arguably THE best little hole-in-the-wall electronics surplus store to have about a gazillion little bins containing virtually EVERY little part, doo-dad, gewgaw and whatchamacallit manufactured over the past century (or probably even longer! <^8#) Guaranteed, if you were looking for something in particular electronic-y, and spent the time picking the entire place over, you WOULD find it! It was definitely in there somewhere! <^8# I loved that place, and was heart-broken to hear of its demise.

Hey, c'mon; most guys like to gather over sports events; others, myself included, like to get out in the outdoors from time to time, in my case, at least, fishing. As opposed to catching, which is definitely NOT a priority for most fishermen... That's just a bonus. But geeks like us do road trips to hardware vendors of many kinds, and find new ways to spend our money on things that keeps our brains stimulated, creating all manner of new toys, tools & machines!!

Fear not, my friend; like the adage, "more month than money", if I won a big lottery, I probably STILL wouldn't have enough for all the new toys I'd like to buy!! <^8#

bobf

OK, Road Trip update: Mike's still on, Jason may be also, I'm supposing Glen's still in, Rob has expressed an interest primarily if we're planning on Radio World; that's my car, overfull already! <^8#

Stefan is interested, but may be looking more toward springtime - I can't remember... And Bill just *might* go if the weather's really good.

I have both Mike and Rob saying Saturday's supposed to be +7° to +9°, which would make for a glorious road trip... SO...

Keep an eye on the weather, and here's to Saturday! <^8#

Jason

I might have some money before Saturday. If I do, then I'll come. It depends on if the paypal transfer goes through before then. But 3 in the back might be a little cramped. Perhaps if Bill is driving up, I'll go with him, instead?

fox

You should come, money or no. It doesn't cost anything to look at the toys :) And what could be better than a day out with the geeks. It's supposed to go up to +10 on Saturday.

ssfc72

OK, weather looks good for Saturday.  I could meet up with Bob in Bethany, near the restaurant, like we did last time.  Someone from Bob's car could transfer over to mine, if they want.

I don't fancy driving back in the dark, so I may head back by maybe 4:30 pm.  If my passenger is from Peterborough, I could drop the person off at his house in Peterborough.

Bill
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

OK, it's Friday night - we're still leaving tomorrow, right? Who is in (besides Bob and I)? Are we still leaving Peterborough at 10 am?

bobf

OK, weather looks good. Bill's in for rendezvous in Bethany, I'm checking on Rob and Stefan, Mike's in, Jason's in (?), I'll check with Glen in Oshawa - if he's in, we'll detour through Oshawa and stop at CanadaComputers down there for a geek fix... Onward to Creatron, then Sayal Electronics, then Radio World, and if there's still time, A1 Electronics, maybe?

I'll pick up Mike & Jason, and possibly Rob, rendezvous in Bethany with Bill, and head on from there...