• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Partial lunar eclipse will be longest since the reign of Henry VI (CBC)

Started by Jason, November 18, 2021, 08:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

The headline of this article says it all. The longest partial lunar eclipse in 600 years starts between 1 and 2 am and peaks about 4 am. It's almost total; the moon will be 97% covered by the Earth's shadow at the peak. It will be visibly noticed about 2 am in our area.

With any luck, it won't be cloudy.

I'll either stay up for it or wake myself up, or try to, watch it starting at maybe 3 am. I have a pair of binoculars appropriately branded Jason (that's the actual brand, ask Bill). CBC has a couple of animations about how it works although I expect many of the clever of us already know.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/partial-lunar-eclipse-nov-19-1.6252140

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

It was pretty cloudy but in between clouds, I was able to see it at about its peak with a pair of binoculars. It was high enough in the sky that I had a stiff neck after a while of looking at it. Should invest in a lounge chair! It was interesting to me that the shape of the crescent seemed to make the moon look like it had depth (i.e. "3D"). The shadowed part was almost blood red. I went in after maybe 15 minutes with my hands getting too cold and my neck too stiff. But still very cool. I'm sure you can find lots of videos that amateur astronomers made of if you're interested, Fox.

You could look at it with the naked eye, too, and easily distinguish the red shadowed part of the moon from the crescent.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

CBC had a very good picture of it on their news website the next morning.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13