• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Distros for Beginner, Experienced and Expert Linux Users

Started by Jason, November 18, 2021, 04:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

You might want to look at the "angels" in Charlie's Angels before you cast shade on it, Buster. :)

"Pretending-not-to-be-President" - I like it. But I'm not sure if it applies to Bill or to me. Bill's the one arranging all the meetups. I'm just the lowly web admin. If it was a reference to me, note that I suggested Ubuntu was for beginners or more advanced users who wanted things working things out-of-the-box and could customize earlier. Fewer choices - more just doing stuff instead of tinkering with stuff. That's kind of odd because I thought that was your thing. I think you're just an anti-Gnomite and won't admit it. :D

I am willing to get Ubuntu a try again when/if I get a computer capable of it. Other than Elementary, I think it's a great-looking desktop.

Regarding the presentation that Brian had trouble with, it wasn't Gentoo. He was continuing my presentation that set up a basic install of Arch with a working desktop manager. And I think his problem had nothing to do with Arch per se, but some technical issue related to his particular hardware. I think he was trying to install it on his Microsoft Surface which appears to be almost allergic to running Linux except in a VM or as a subsystem with graphics. But I would love to hear back input from it. But I'm about 99% sure it wasn't Gentoo. I don't think it has ever been presented.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Jason, I'm looking forward to your re-trying Ubuntu. I think I'm the only member of our club that is using it. I have tried a lot of distros in my 10+ years of using Linux as my primary OS: Mint, Fedora, Arch, Manjaro, Elementary, MX, Pop! OS, Debian, openSuse, Peppermint, Crunchbang, Bodhi, Bunsen Labs, plus others that I downloaded and booted live. I keep coming back to Ubuntu. It does everything I need it to do, plus I like Gnome.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13