• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Pegasus Sanctions

Started by Jason, November 04, 2021, 10:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I can't explain it better myself so here it is from the horse's mouth, today's daily digest newsletter, 1440. I suggest going to the online version to read this topic as it provides informative embedded links that don't show here. One linked article shows how the software can get on your phone and how to know if it's there as well as some good security tips. I also found it interesting that Apple devices were more at risk of being infected by Pegasus than Android devices. Usually, it's the opposite with malware/spyware.

QuoteThe US placed well-known Israeli spyware firm NSO Group on a Commerce Department blacklist yesterday over its purported role in a phone-hacking scheme exposed over the summer. Three other businesses based in Israel, Russia, and Singapore were also added.

A series of joint articles published in July revealed one of NSO's core tools, Pegasus, had been used by intelligence agencies and law enforcement groups around the world to spy on journalists, activists, politicians, and others. The software is capable of covertly installing on mobile phones (see overview), often requiring no user interaction, and provides access to text messages, photos, and more. Among other targets, the software was reportedly used by Saudi Arabia to monitor slain journalist Jamal Khashoggi. See others potentially targeted here.

The company maintains it sells its tools to governments to combat crime and terrorism.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13