• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

A Touch of Frost - a very good cd audio book about a fictional British detective

Started by ssfc72, October 09, 2021, 03:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

This is 12 CD audio book (each CD is a little over 1 hr in length) about the cases of British Detective Inspector Jack Frost (a great TV series was done starring the great actor David Jason).

This book covers the numerous cases that Frost has been assigned all at the same time.  Many of these fictional cases are very disturbing in their content, so you may not want to read this particular book.

As with the TV series, the Frost character is very well done with his disdain for the his police supervisors and his wise cracking remarks.  At one point towards the end of the book, Frost refers to his superior, Mullet, by asking the secretary if, "dracula is in his coffin".

I got the 12 CD audio book from the Peterborough Library but strangely the audiobook no longer seems to be listed at the library??

Note - this is a 12 hour audiobook. I think there are abridged versions of ebooks/audiobooks of this title, which are much shorter in length and do not have the complete story.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Yeah, that is weird that it's not there now. Perhaps it was just lost by a patron.  They do have a Hoopla eAudiobook of it. The character sounds interesting and witty, to boot.

That must be the first time I've heard of "Jason" being used as a last name. That means it would be possible for someone to be named "Jason Jason". Maybe it'll be in a sequel to Les Miserables.

Btw, I happened to hear that PPL will no longer have fines. They said after testing it during the pandemic (without fines) that it didn't really change whether books were returned on time.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Yes, the Library no longer has late fees but after about 44 days overdue on the borrowed material, then a replacement charge is automatically charged to the person.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on October 10, 2021, 02:27:30 AM
Yes, the Library no longer has late fees but after about 44 days overdue on the borrowed material, then a replacement charge is automatically charged to the person.

Yep. I had to pay that once for a book that I tried to find to the ends of the Earth but couldn't locate. But often, people who have extensive late charges never intended to return the item so they won't pay the replacement fee either. That's probably what happened here.

Did you know that you can request that the library get an item? I've done it maybe 3 times over the years and every time they've fulfilled the request. Now, it might just be when they receive a certain number of requests, but one of the items I requested was pretty esoteric so I doubt anyone else asked for it. In this case, they might not fulfill the request since they have the eAudiobook for it already. They tend to not get CDs/DVDs as often because of them being expensive and the wear and tear.

I'm curious. Do you listen to CD audiobooks in your car?
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

My 2016 Subaru Outback doesn't have a CD player, so no i don't listen to audio CD's in my car.
I just rip the tracks off of audio CD's and play them on my tiny mp3 player, at home.

ssfc72

This post is doing pretty good for the number of views it has had, so far.  95 views so far and the posting was only started on Oct 10.

Jason

Don't forget us when you're famous. :) It's 111 looking at right now for me. That's a most interesting count. 112 after this post. What I find odd is that I could refresh the post screen and check the numbers and they didn't change. But I make a post and it goes up by one. Coincidental?

Jason

Just noticed a previous post "3 days of Frost" is up to 256 views but that was a bit over five months ago. So you definitely got a higher hit rate.

ssfc72

I am currently listening to another Detective Inspector Jack frost audiobook called, Winter Frost.
It is a 14 audio CD audiobook (14 hours of listening) and so far (Disc 5) is another very good fictional book.
I will post a short review of it when I am done listening to it. :-)

Jason

Not enough people are aware that not only does our group wax ancient truths about Linux but we have a voracious author of computer adventures and an splendid entertainment critic. We have much unexpected talent here. Do let us know how it goes, Fleming. :)