• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Privacy concerns with QR-Codes

Started by Jason, September 27, 2021, 03:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Interesting CBC article about how restaurants using QR codes to provide menus. It's not the codes, it's that the codes send you to websites that might track your information and other sites you visit, etc. We've always had this issue with websites but what's different about this is that you might not realize where the code is sending you. There have already been phishers trying to get personal information through QR codes.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/costofliving/there-just-aren-t-enough-houses-for-canadians-to-buy-plus-digital-menus-and-getting-into-sports-betting-1.6173009/scan-qr-code-menus-with-a-side-of-caution-say-privacy-experts-1.6188515
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I'm a luddite. I read the physical menu.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Unless I had my tablet with me, I probably would, too. Not sure if anyone locally is using them for menus anyway. But I don't really go to the nice restaurants. That's for rich people on those gold-plated pension plans like Buster. :)
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

We have been to only one restaurant patio since the beginning of covid, and have ordered in zero meals. The restaurant was half way between my son's residence and ours.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Yeah, yeah, sure, Mr. Richie McRich. Mrs. Tao told me all about your weekend "get-togethers" where you had escargot, caviar and 30-year old wine. Don't try and hide it. :) I also noted that you qualified your "only one" visit to a restaurant with the word "patio". Such a crafty fellow. I'm wise to your ways, Buster!

buster

When I said we had not gone to a restaurant, that was Marilyn and myself Mr Poverty McPoverty. And Ms Tao did not invite me to a restaurant either. She had recently purchased a very upscale hotel/restaurant complex, and invited me for a tour.  As part of the tour, the two of us were served by her chef in a very private dining area. And since the drive had been long, I slept in great comfort in a luxurious suite, waking up to breakfast in my room, enjoying the view.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.