• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ontario COVID Passport info

Started by ssfc72, September 21, 2021, 09:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Here is a good Link to info about the current Ontario COVID passport.
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/how-to-get-your-proof-of-your-covid-19-vaccination-in-ontario-1.5569629

You can download and print out your 2nd covid vacination receipt, for showing at places that you want to enter.
The QR code picture will be available for use, on Oct 22.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Thanks, Bill.

I believe the QR code will be part of an app. Why it's taken them this long, I have no idea. The app or some quicker vaccination verification process is something they should have been working on since last year. How about a bigger font, for example?

I kept the certificates they gave me after I was vaccinated. I still went to the government website and downloaded the PDFs as a backup. Might be better to just show them on my phone and use paper as the backup since the printouts are so flimsy.

I've had to use the certificates the last couple of months when visiting my brother at Fairhaven. You don't have to be vaccinated to visit but if you are, you can skip the rapid test, which takes about 15-20 minutes for the results. They only ask to see the 2nd shot verification. It lists on it that it's a second shot so no need to see both, really.

Here's hoping that not too many businesses have to deal with unruly customers refusing to follow the measures. Of course, except for nightclubs, the unvaccinated can still eat and drink outside. So the anger will probably happen when icicles are forming on their noses. :P
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

The QR code picture will have to be available for download and printing, for those people who don't have or carry a cell phone or don't want to put another app on their phone.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Quote from: Jason on September 21, 2021, 07:07:53 PM
Here's hoping that not too many businesses have to deal with unruly customers refusing to follow the measures. Of course, except for nightclubs, the unvaccinated can still eat and drink outside. So the anger will probably happen when icicles are forming on their noses. :P

I hope you're right, but some businesses in B.C. and Ontario have already had to deal with these unruly people. Personally, I don't see the big issue. I'm not going to start going to high Covid-risk settings just because only vaccinated people can attend them. I'm happy to eat outdoors, even through winter, because it's safer. Small places like our local Publican House have adapted their outdoor spaces to colder weather with partial walls and heaters. I ate there in late November, just before the lockdown. It was warm enough that I had to take off my jacket.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I've seen some of the reports including some yahoo who thought he could choose not to consent to a law so it didn't apply to him. Okay, dude. Move along.

Personally, I'd rather be in a dining room with people who I know are vaccinated than outside on a patio with a bunch of people who aren't. Especially if you know it's likely mostly unvaccinated. I don't think many people like you are going to eat outdoors through the winter although the Publican setup sounds nice. But if it's holding the heat in that well, I'm not sure it's much less risk. Wouldn't that mean less air circulation? Have Public Health OK'd their setup with the new rules?

I don't think it's a high-risk environment inside eating when it's just vaccinated people (other than the <12 crowd) but certainly was before, or at least medium risk. Eating indoors was considered high risk when anyone could eat indoors (aside from those with symptoms). I don't know if anyone has done the crunching for the risk now that they have to be vaccinated. But once you're fully vaccinated, you're 15-20x less likely to be infected, about 40x less likely to be hospitalized and +70x less likely to be in the ICU. If you're surrounded by a group of vaccinated people, the risk would drop even more.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Quote from: Jason on September 25, 2021, 02:24:35 AM
I've seen some of the reports including some yahoo who thought he could choose not to consent to a law so it didn't apply to him. ....

CBC online posted an article about this called Bizarre legal theory making anti-vaccine movement more extreme, experts warn.

Personally, I'd rather be in a dining room with people who I know are vaccinated than outside on a patio with a bunch of people who aren't. Especially if you know it's likely mostly unvaccinated. I don't think many people like you are going to eat outdoors through the winter although the Publican setup sounds nice. But if it's holding the heat in that well, I'm not sure it's much less risk. Wouldn't that mean less air circulation? Have Public Health OK'd their setup with the new rules?

It's not holding in the heat; the heat is radiating from electric heaters in the rafters. There is no roof other than an overhang near the building and the rafters. Unless the indoor air circulation is very good, one would be at much higher risk indoors than outdoors. Then there is the issue of forging vaccination documents; I'm sure that there will be some of that, at least until we have the formal provincial passport system in place.

I don't think it's a high-risk environment inside eating when it's just vaccinated people (other than the <12 crowd) but certainly was before, or at least medium risk. Eating indoors was considered high risk when anyone could eat indoors (aside from those with symptoms). I don't know if anyone has done the crunching for the risk now that they have to be vaccinated. But once you're fully vaccinated, you're 15-20x less likely to be infected, about 40x less likely to be hospitalized and +70x less likely to be in the ICU. If you're surrounded by a group of vaccinated people, the risk would drop even more.

Based on what I have been reading, the big decline in risk is for ICU, hospitalization and symptomatic infection, in that order. But vaccinated people can still get Covid and even if non-symptomatic, my understanding is that they can still readily transmit the virus to others.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on September 25, 2021, 07:29:51 AM
CBC online posted an article about this called Bizarre legal theory making anti-vaccine movement more extreme, experts warn.

Yeah, I read that article, too. I read it after the video where a guy was asserting his non-existing right.

QuoteIt's not holding in the heat; the heat is radiating from electric heaters in the rafters. There is no roof other than an overhang near the building and the rafters. Unless the indoor air circulation is very good, one would be at much higher risk indoors than outdoors. Then there is the issue of forging vaccination documents; I'm sure that there will be some of that, at least until we have the formal provincial passport system in place.

Good to know.

Based on what I have been reading, the big decline in risk is for ICU, hospitalization and symptomatic infection, in that order. But vaccinated people can still get Covid and even if non-symptomatic, my understanding is that they can still readily transmit the virus to others.

I believe that's what I was saying about the decline in risk. I don't know if it's asymptomatic or symptomatic cases, though. I'm basing it on testing which could be either but probably leans toward symptomatic, at least for now. I think there will be more places that will expect rapid testing for employees instead of vaccinations if it's not part of the mandate.

I'm basing my numbers on the Ontario Dashboard website. It looks like some of the numbers have changed since I last looked and I was way off the one for infections, must have been the new math. ;-) So far, the states show that the unvaccinated are 7x more likely to be infected, 25x more to end up in the hospital and 60x more likely to be in the ICU.

The Rt has been dropping for a week or two and is now at 0.89. They're good signs but winter is coming. Hopefully, we can get that 80% of those 12 and over to 90% before that. Approval for children 5-11 should come soon, too. Just have to get the rest of the world vaccinated so we don't end up with another variant even more contagious and severe.