• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Streaming devices

Started by Jason, September 17, 2021, 02:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Does anyone have any experience with streaming devices like the Amazon Fire stick or Roku? Or any others?

The Android box should have worked well but somehow he keeps messing some up and every time I'm visit, it's not operating. He's switched back or more likely the staff switched him back to cable when it didn't work

Thinking that either of them or another would be better for my brother, and cheaper. He has all the movie channels with his Cogeco service but seems to have trouble manipulating the remote. . I don't blame him with what looks like 50+ buttons on it. How do they think seniors can manage all that? I can't even figure out. The last time we have cable, it maybe had a dozen buttons. In any case, the remotes on Fire and Roku look a lot simpler.

He'd just have to get used to the concept of picking content to play rather than watching whatever happens to be on.

We have Amazon Prime which we watch on our computers but I have no knowledge of Roku. I'm looking at reviews but sometimes it's nice to have that knowledge of friends.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I have an old version of Apple TV and it works well.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on September 17, 2021, 03:54:23 PM
I have an old version of Apple TV and it works well.

1. Is the interface easy to use? I mean as in much easier to use than navigating the umpteenth functions in the average cable remote?
2. And what content do you get? Any regular or special programming access?
3. Oh, and how much?

It seems like most streaming services don't show the interface.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

Quote from: Jason on September 17, 2021, 04:48:20 PM
1. Is the interface easy to use? I mean as in much easier to use than navigating the umpteenth functions in the average cable remote?
2. And what content do you get? Any regular or special programming access?
3. Oh, and how much?

It seems like most streaming services don't show the interface.

The interface is very easy to navigate. It looks like apps on an iPhone. As to content, I couldn't rhyme it off. I know that Netflix is on there, as is YouTube. As I recall, they have the usual subscription services like Crave. Best to look it up online. I paid $100 but got an early version. The new 4k version is about $200 new (less for refurb).

Jason

I'm thinking that Crave might only come if you have Bill internet (or Virgin). So Apple TV doesn't have their own service (like Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.)? What do you watch on it out of curiosity?

fox

Apple does have its own service. Apple TV+ has their original collection, which is a subscription like Disney (also accessible through the Apple TV interface) and Netflix. Also, you can buy individual movies and TV series through Apple. The latter is all I use it for. The Apple TV interface also allows you to listen to music, view photos or watch videos stored on your computer; connects to computer via wifi. I sometimes use it for viewing photos. When the 3rd season of Manifest wasn't available on Netflix (it is now), I bought it from Apple on my computer and streamed it to my TV through Apple TV.

Jason

That's cool. Thanks for the info, Fox.