• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

When you get the dreaded "device is busy" error

Started by Jason, August 09, 2021, 11:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I haven't seen this before but for some reason it happens occasionally with Veracrypt.

I've mentioned Veracrypt before. I even did a presentation on it once and could again if anybody is interested (virtually, of course).

The way I use Veracrypt is to create an encrypted "drive" which shows up as a mounted drive when decrypted and a file when not.

1. So I mount the "file" as a drive using Veracrypt and then have access to the files inside it.

2. Do stuff with the files in it.

2. When I'm done, I unmount the "drive" which restores it to it's previous encrypted file state.

The problem is that sometimes, it won't let my unmount the drive because it says "device is busy" when it's definitely not because I've exited the drive in File Manager and have no files in it opened.

The article here shows you how to fix that problem so you can unmount the drive. Normally, you'll just need to use the instructions in the first section. Sorry, Buster, I don't know how to do this graphically. But it seems to be a rare occurrence in Linux so it'll be okay. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Good to know Jason. Thanks for the info.
I have installed Veracrypt on one of my computers, a number of years ago, to try it out.  It works well and is a valuable feature to have.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Yeah, I really like Veracrypt, too. For first time users it can be a little bit intimidating but once it's understood how you make a drive out of a file, it's easy.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13