• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Anyone interested in resuming an evening meetup, at Tim Hortons parking lot?

Started by ssfc72, June 10, 2021, 07:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Yes, 8 pm, near the Petsmart parking lot.  I will probably be there about 20 minutes before 8 pm.
I may ride my motorcycle into Peterborough.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

"Likewise, Jason. Just to verify, 8 pm at Petsmart parking lot."

Why did the traditional 7:00 time get pushed an hour later? Sometimes I climb into bed before 10. Depends on other things of course.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

ssfc72

I didn't recall that we use to meet up at 7 pm.  I just was going by our video group meetup time of around 7:30 to 8 pm.
The next parking lot meetup can be at 7 pm.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

buster

"Each MONDAY evening, except the first Monday of the month, beginning at about 7 pm, everyone is welcome to hang out with other PLUGgers at Tim Horton's Coffee & Donuts on Monaghan Road just north of Lansdowne Street. We call these nights PLUG MUGs. There is Free wireless Internet and no agenda; just friends hanging out, and talking about everything from Linux to X-rays."

Jason

Quote from: fox on June 16, 2021, 07:39:40 AM
Likewise, Jason. Just to verify, 8 pm at Petsmart parking lot.

I'll be there and at the right pet-related place this time. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I am here already, for anyone else that wants to show up early.

Jason

That was most pleasant, gentlemen. I hope we do it again soon and that more members attend. I don't think we have to worry about the number that shows since the group limitation is about equal to the number of members (or members we had in April 2020 more accurately). But if we go over, Bill's the organizer! ;-)
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Yes, it was great to see you guys.  I didn't expect the meetup to last past sundown and I wasn't dressed warmly enough.

hopefully will will get back to the hot summer evenings that we had a week ago and have another evening meetup.

fox

Likewise. But as I got colder, I was happy to see our get-together ending. The last thing I want to do is get a cold now with my 2nd Covid shot coming tomorrow.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Old, wise Harry, being smarter than your average elevator, wore a fleece, a winter down jacket and a hat. A pleasant evening. Some of that could have been because of the pot smokers who were near us, and their smoke ended up going through our group. I tried to take a deep breath and hold it to avoid the smoke, but I couldn't seem to get my timing right. And my timing apparently got worse as the evening went on.

It would be good to have a few more at the ClubMugs. Some will of course be coming to the PlugMugs, but it doesn't matter.We all sit together.

buster

And I might add that we talk quite series matters, not just arguing about the best lady's bum that walked by tonight. Jason and I had an interesting discussing (definitely not an argument) about drug addiction. He leaned towards the idea that underlying problems, once solved, might help the person avoid the trap of drugs, and I leaned towards the idea that some drugs make a person feels so good, that the effect draws the person in.

I'm mentioning this because Marilyn and I sat in our yard with sun, blue skies, tall trees and a bottle of Australian red wine, and the feeling from the alcohol was blissful. It makes the universe feel like a wonderful place. Fortunately I have never slipped into alcoholism, but I understand the danger. If someone had pain in his or her life, it would be an answer. And other drugs would be even more deadly.

For your reading assignment, peruse the lotus eaters in Homer's The Odessey.

Jason

Quote from: fox on June 17, 2021, 11:06:51 AM
Likewise. But as I got colder, I was happy to see our get-together ending. The last thing I want to do is get a cold now with my 2nd Covid shot coming tomorrow.

Lucky you! I'm scheduled for August 30 and even with the accelerated second doses, I can't even book an earlier appointment until August 2! Not that I'm complaining... much. :)

Correction: I just read they've re-accelerated the accelerated doses so I'll be able to book mine starting June 28!

ssfc72

Australian red wine. I would imagine the percent alcohol content is quite high? :-)

Quote from: buster on June 17, 2021, 06:53:35 PM
And I might add that we talk quite series matters, not just arguing about the best lady's bum that walked by tonight. Jason and I had an interesting discussing (definitely not an argument) about drug addiction. He leaned towards the idea that underlying problems, once solved, might help the person avoid the trap of drugs, and I leaned towards the idea that some drugs make a person feels so good, that the effect draws the person in.

I'm mentioning this because Marilyn and I sat in our yard with sun, blue skies, tall trees and a bottle of Australian red wine, and the feeling from the alcohol was blissful. It makes the universe feel like a wonderful place. Fortunately I have never slipped into alcoholism, but I understand the danger. If someone had pain in his or her life, it would be an answer. And other drugs would be even more deadly.

For your reading assignment, peruse the lotus eaters in Homer's The Odessey.

buster

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 16, 2021, 01:48:55 PM
"Each MONDAY evening, except the first Monday of the month, beginning at about 7 pm, everyone is welcome to hang out with other PLUGgers at Tim Horton's Coffee & Donuts on Monaghan Road just north of Lansdowne Street. We call these nights PLUG MUGs. There is Free wireless Internet and no agenda; just friends hanging out, and talking about everything from Linux to X-rays."

Where'd you pull that from, Buster? I know it was on the website or an announcement once but we haven't done that for a long time. MUGs have happened at all different times. Mondays, Thursdays, on the weekend, on evenings, afternoons and so on. The Monday at 7 pm meeting time hasn't been a thing even long before the pandemic. I just looked back two years and there weren't any Monday dates. Nobody was showing up to them but Bill, Mike and I pre-pandemic.  And they were usually held on weekend afternoons.

I have no problem with 7 pm though. But aren't you having dinner around then?