• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

DistroWatch won't load when PIA VPN is on

Started by fox, June 03, 2021, 04:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

The DistroWatch site has of late gotten sensitive to PIA (Private Internet Access), which is my VPN. When the VPN is on, DW gives an "unable to connect to server" error. This is in Firefox, Chromium or Chrome in Ubuntu, and even Safari on the Mac OS. I tried changing the server/region, and it doesn't seem to matter. If I turn off the VPN, I can connect to the site. Any idea what's going on here or there is a way to fix this without turning off the VPN?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

gmiller1977

I've encountered similar problems with NordVPN.   I think they are dropping packets/requests from known VPN end points.

gmiller1977

Actually, I take this back.  I just tried to get to distrowatch without a VPN active and it didn't work at all, and gave the same error you are getting.

I enabled NordVPN proxy in Chrome, selected Canada, and it loaded with no problem.

I did a traceroute and it looks like it is timing out after hitting hop 20 (easyspeedyXXX.twelve99.cust.net) 62.115.40.174

There must be some type of routing issue.

I'm on Bell, what ISP are you using?

fox

Quote from: gmiller1977 on June 03, 2021, 05:23:26 PM
I'm on Bell, what ISP are you using?

Bell also. Strange though that turning off the VPN works 100% for me on DistroWatch.

fox

Interestingly enough, I was able to access DistroWatch this morning with my VPN on. This seems to be an on-off problem.

ssfc72

Distrowatch website was down for me, the other day and I wasn't running a VPN.

The website was back up, the next day.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

gmiller1977

Same here, back up and running.  The trace route that I ran yesterday completes as well.

There must be a routing issue.