• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Woe is me - apparently Window 11 comes out mid summer.

Started by buster, June 02, 2021, 05:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Quote from: fox on June 03, 2021, 04:06:56 PM
I do run Windows update manually; the auto feature is turned off. 20H2 did install, as did updates to it until April. March installed, April didn't, May didn't. Is this a security problem? If so what do you recommend I do? Maybe wait until the next version of Windows comes out?

What technique did you use to turn off the auto-updating? I'm just curious. I just defer updates for a couple of weeks so everyone else can beta test them for me and work out the kinks. Thanks to those of you who knowingly or unknowingly are doing that testing. :)

What kind of update is this?

If it's a feature update, it's optional, at least until Microsoft decides they won't support earlier builds (then it won't be marked as optional). Cumulative updates aren't considered optional as they usually (always?) have security fixes. If it's a feature update, there's no rush. Let the dust settle unless you just absolutely must have the latest greatest Windows 10 and knowing you, Fox, you just have to, right?  ;D

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 03, 2021, 04:36:37 PM
My updates ultimately work, but once in awhile the update doesn't quite work, Microsoft comes back in, removes the unsuccessful parts, and reinstalls the update. But I have three machines, and I like the way they look and work, and one computer is about a dozen years old.

When one doesn't work, just pause automatic updating for a few days or a week until they fix the issue. If it happens repeatedly on the same update, I mean. You can also defer updates if you have Windows 10 Pro.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 03, 2021, 09:40:01 PM
Scanning the web tonight and I have come to the conclusion that I may be perpetuating a hoax. The articles about Win11 may not be true. The May update/upgrade may be the new Windows, and because of its massive nature, it probably is the big change. And because of its nature it may be difficult for some systems.

I said earlier on this topic that Windows no longer releases new versions (e.g. Windows 11), at least not now. They've moved to the model of just continually updating Windows 10. Just do a search for "Windows 10 is the last version of Windows". The feature updates are considered new versions which may be where the confusion crept in. They happen every 6-12 months if I'm not mistaken. But some are very boring and change little. The "alleged" Windows 11 version is a feature update that is supposed to bring in major changes in the Fall. But it's not Windows 11. Unless Microsoft suddenly decides to call it that. But you won't have to buy it.

These feature updates are optional, at first. Eventually, Microsoft stops supporting an earlier build so you're forced into it then. Not that Microsoft doesn't push you to install them anyway because they're so great. Whatever.

fox

Quote from: Jason on June 04, 2021, 09:57:29 AM
What technique did you use to turn off the auto-updating? I'm just curious. I just defer updates for a couple of weeks so everyone else can beta test them for me and work out the kinks. Thanks to those of you who knowingly or unknowingly are doing that testing. :)

What kind of update is this?

If it's a feature update, it's optional, at least until Microsoft decides they won't support earlier builds (then it won't be marked as optional). Cumulative updates aren't considered optional as they usually (always?) have security fixes. If it's a feature update, there's no rush. Let the dust settle unless you just absolutely must have the latest greatest Windows 10 and knowing you, Fox, you just have to, right?  ;D

I don't know what I did to turn off auto-updating, but it's off. This is a cumulative update, not a feature update.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Which cumulative update is it? There can be more than one each month. Does it have a KB number? If so, do a search for problems with that particular update. It should also tell you if there are security updates in it. If there aren't or they're not that serious, you could wait a little longer and try it again in a week or so.

Jason

You can download updates separately from the Microsoft Update Catalog and then run the update directly (i.e. it's an .msu file). Just do a search for the KB number.

fox

Quote from: Jason on June 04, 2021, 06:18:34 PM
You can download updates separately from the Microsoft Update Catalog and then run the update directly (i.e. it's an .msu file). Just do a search for the KB number.

If you mean by "running the update directly", download the update and click on it, I already tried that. It wouldn't install.

Jason

Yeah, that's what I meant. What happened? Did you get an error message? If so, it should have a number with it that you can look up. I believe there's also a Windows Update troubleshooter embedded in that setting.

gmiller1977

Quote from: fox on June 04, 2021, 06:58:41 PM
If you mean by "running the update directly", download the update and click on it, I already tried that. It wouldn't install.

This likely won't work (in my experience).  Using ESB to do an inplace upgrade is what has worked for me in the past (multiple times).

Jason

I have to note after reading that Windows 11 wasn't something that was coming, at least i the near future, now it is. Well, just in an early state (beta? alpha?) at this point. Sigh. Microsoft can never make up their mind. I guess they have to release a new version so they can make some more money on retail sales. Yes, people do actually buy it either because they didn't get the free upgrade to Windows 10 when they had a chance or because it's a new computer. There are still ways of getting the upgrade to Windows 10 but it involves a bit of trickiness.

I don't know if I will ever upgrade to Windows 11 but I expect I will be forced into to continue playing my Windows games. The system I'm using now, a low-end Toshiba laptop, doesn't have Windows on it. If I ever fix my old (and much faster machine), it has Windows 10 on it, but just for games pretty much. And maybe to keep my skills fresh to help friends with Windows problems.

Windows 11 interface looks like a cross between Ubuntu and MacOS from what I've seen. But I don't really follow it much. As I said, I mainly had it just to play games and help friends. They won't have Windows 11 for a while so who cares?

buster

One thing will be lost going from Win10 to 11, that I didn't even know about. The task bar in Win10 can be put, a la Fox, at the left hand side of the screen. Win11 loses this.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

I didn't know that, Buster. Thanks for pointing that out, even though it doesn't matter that much to me (in Windows). I use Windows so rarely that I don't bother customizing it, other than to change the desktop background and put the icons of apps I do use on the taskbar.