Author Topic: Woe is me - apparently Window 11 comes out mid summer.  (Read 397 times)

Offline Jason

• Administrator
  • Master
  • Humanist. Skeptic. Husband.
Re: Woe is me - apparently Window 11 comes out mid summer.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2021, 09:57:29 am »
I do run Windows update manually; the auto feature is turned off. 20H2 did install, as did updates to it until April. March installed, April didn't, May didn't. Is this a security problem? If so what do you recommend I do? Maybe wait until the next version of Windows comes out?

What technique did you use to turn off the auto-updating? I'm just curious. I just defer updates for a couple of weeks so everyone else can beta test them for me and work out the kinks. Thanks to those of you who knowingly or unknowingly are doing that testing. :)

What kind of update is this?

If it's a feature update, it's optional, at least until Microsoft decides they won't support earlier builds (then it won't be marked as optional). Cumulative updates aren't considered optional as they usually (always?) have security fixes. If it's a feature update, there's no rush. Let the dust settle unless you just absolutely must have the latest greatest Windows 10 and knowing you, Fox, you just have to, right?  ;D

"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Offline Jason

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2021, 10:01:49 am »
My updates ultimately work, but once in awhile the update doesn't quite work, Microsoft comes back in, removes the unsuccessful parts, and reinstalls the update. But I have three machines, and I like the way they look and work, and one computer is about a dozen years old.

When one doesn't work, just pause automatic updating for a few days or a week until they fix the issue. If it happens repeatedly on the same update, I mean. You can also defer updates if you have Windows 10 Pro.
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Offline Jason

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2021, 10:13:44 am »
Scanning the web tonight and I have come to the conclusion that I may be perpetuating a hoax. The articles about Win11 may not be true. The May update/upgrade may be the new Windows, and because of its massive nature, it probably is the big change. And because of its nature it may be difficult for some systems.

I said earlier on this topic that Windows no longer releases new versions (e.g. Windows 11), at least not now. They've moved to the model of just continually updating Windows 10. Just do a search for "Windows 10 is the last version of Windows". The feature updates are considered new versions which may be where the confusion crept in. They happen every 6-12 months if I'm not mistaken. But some are very boring and change little. The "alleged" Windows 11 version is a feature update that is supposed to bring in major changes in the Fall. But it's not Windows 11. Unless Microsoft suddenly decides to call it that. But you won't have to buy it.

These feature updates are optional, at first. Eventually, Microsoft stops supporting an earlier build so you're forced into it then. Not that Microsoft doesn't push you to install them anyway because they're so great. Whatever.

Offline fox

• Master
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2021, 12:12:07 pm »
What technique did you use to turn off the auto-updating? I'm just curious. I just defer updates for a couple of weeks so everyone else can beta test them for me and work out the kinks. Thanks to those of you who knowingly or unknowingly are doing that testing. :)

What kind of update is this?

If it's a feature update, it's optional, at least until Microsoft decides they won't support earlier builds (then it won't be marked as optional). Cumulative updates aren't considered optional as they usually (always?) have security fixes. If it's a feature update, there's no rush. Let the dust settle unless you just absolutely must have the latest greatest Windows 10 and knowing you, Fox, you just have to, right?  ;D

I don't know what I did to turn off auto-updating, but it's off. This is a cumulative update, not a feature update.
Ubuntu 21.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 20.04 and 18.04 on Dell XPS 13 2 in 1

Offline Jason

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2021, 06:00:41 pm »
Which cumulative update is it? There can be more than one each month. Does it have a KB number? If so, do a search for problems with that particular update. It should also tell you if there are security updates in it. If there aren't or they're not that serious, you could wait a little longer and try it again in a week or so.

Offline Jason

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 06:18:34 pm »
You can download updates separately from the Microsoft Update Catalog and then run the update directly (i.e. it's an .msu file). Just do a search for the KB number.

Offline fox

• Master
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2021, 06:58:41 pm »
You can download updates separately from the Microsoft Update Catalog and then run the update directly (i.e. it's an .msu file). Just do a search for the KB number.

If you mean by "running the update directly", download the update and click on it, I already tried that. It wouldn't install.
Ubuntu 21.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 20.04 and 18.04 on Dell XPS 13 2 in 1

Offline Jason

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2021, 07:32:32 pm »
Yeah, that's what I meant. What happened? Did you get an error message? If so, it should have a number with it that you can look up. I believe there's also a Windows Update troubleshooter embedded in that setting.

gmiller1977

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2021, 09:34:52 pm »
If you mean by "running the update directly", download the update and click on it, I already tried that. It wouldn't install.

This likely won't work (in my experience).  Using ESB to do an inplace upgrade is what has worked for me in the past (multiple times).