• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

A fun thought I had today - how about a PLUG Linux distro?

Started by gmiller1977, May 29, 2021, 08:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I think that actually looks pretty nice, even the background which has a nice colour and texture. If I could change one thing, it would be to replace the apple with a Linux symbol, either a penguin or a distro-specific symbol.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Or something like this, with 'Peterborough Linux Club'  somewhere in a similar picture?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

Too busy in my opinion. Maybe if it was in black and white or grayscale.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

How about this or a bit smaller?

buster

Or if that sort of thing doesn't work, maybe some clever person could find on the Internet the original drafting plans (probably 3 perspectives) of the Lift Lock for wallpaper. I would prefer some indication of the club's centre and its name, and everyone associates our city with the Lift Lock. Greyscale pictures make me feel a bit depressed when I turn on the laptop. There is art, but not life.

And I prefer Peterborough Linux Club to Peterborough Linux Users Group as a name. The former indicates social activities and pleasant times, and the latter has a group defined by a specific activity. Imagine something like the Peterborough Golf Club Users Group.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 15, 2021, 09:09:00 AM
That's how we got to this point, and here's a new picture.

Looking good. I'll probably read this in a comment after mine but I don't think the MacOS has icons in the top panel unless I'm mistaken.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 15, 2021, 03:55:46 PM
And I prefer Peterborough Linux Club to Peterborough Linux Users Group as a name. The former indicates social activities and pleasant times, and the latter has a group defined by a specific activity. Imagine something like the Peterborough Golf Club Users Group.

I'm very much against changing the name for a number of reasons.

1. Across the globe, Linux "clubs" are known as Linux User Groups. It's normally the case with all computer "clubs" (PC user groups) as well groups for users with very specific interests like Java Users Group, C++ Users Group, etc.

2. The website domain would no longer have a double meaning.

3. You don't change the name of a group, a company, an organization when it's been known a long time a certain way. It's bad marketing. Now, if everybody started using a different name, that would be a different situation. For example, Federal Express became Fedex.

3. It's like you just suggested we rename my firstborn. It's not going to happen.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Another way to make use of such a picture but still make it easier on the eyes is to use an image editor to soften the image by blurring it a little bit. A less busy picture might be one of Little Lake with the fountain. Or looking over Peterborough from a hill seeing all the trees and Little Lake, maybe looking at the clock tower or some other landmark. Lots of greenery is nice. Are you a decent photographer, Buster? Get up to the water tower or the lookout point at the museum.

ssfc72

Maybe have the 2 desktop backgrounds (both the one Fox likes and Busters) as a choice, available? :-)

Quote from: buster on June 15, 2021, 02:48:50 PM
How about this or a bit smaller?
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service