• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

A fun thought I had today - how about a PLUG Linux distro?

Started by gmiller1977, May 29, 2021, 08:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

So since I suggested it I thought I should test Plank in my Quark virtual install to help make it look like a Mac. What a mess I made of that! There are other choices of course, but I can't be sure if I messed up or the simplicity of Plank is a little too simple. I've used it before, and I don't remember any problems. Could be Quark. So I shall get back to you a little later. Like a day or two.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

If your desktop environment still lets you create another user, do that and then log in as that user. The configuration files for the desktop environment will be set to their defaults. These configuration files are either in your base home directory (e.g /home/jason) or in a subdirectory. They begin with a dot. That dot tells Linux to hide them by default. So you need to turn on viewing 'hidden files' in your file manager to see them. After deleting the files, log out and back in and they should be reset. I usually just create a new user and do that. It's less work than a full re-install. Since these configuration files may also store the settings for various programs (e.g. browser bookmarks), you don't have to delete them all. If you peak inside the directories, you should be able to tell what you want you need to delete.

I can't finish this post without mentioning that Virtualbox is better than VMware Player in one way, the ability to take snapshots of the OS. Do one before making changes and you can easily roll back to the previous snapshot. I suppose another way would be to export the virtual machine files in VMware Player and import them into a new VM. Timeshift will also do it. The initial backup takes a bit of time but after that, it only has to record changes in files.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

I gave entirely the wrong impression.Sorry. The "What a mess I made of that!" actually referred to the ugly, awkward, wretched desktop experience I had created.

Moved backwards and experimented again with fair success so far, and a different launch bar. We'll see.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 09, 2021, 11:20:01 AM
I gave entirely the wrong impression.Sorry. The "What a mess I made of that!" actually referred to the ugly, awkward, wretched desktop experience I had created.

Oh, I thought you were referring to an ugly desktop, panels, planks, whatever. Doing what I mentioned would restore it to the original look if you had trouble with or didn't want to take the trouble to get it back. Oh, well, the info might be helpful to somebody else.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Three possible desktops, though maybe they are a bit obvious:

ssfc72

I finally was curious enough to look up what Quark and Plank, are. :-)

Quote from: buster on June 08, 2021, 06:48:47 PM
So since I suggested it I thought I should test Plank in my Quark virtual install to help make it look like a Mac. What a mess I made of that! There are other choices of course, but I can't be sure if I messed up or the simplicity of Plank is a little too simple. I've used it before, and I don't remember any problems. Could be Quark. So I shall get back to you a little later. Like a day or two.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Quote from: buster on June 11, 2021, 07:48:26 PM
Three possible desktops, though maybe they are a bit obvious:

Hmm. Someone seems to have an Apple fetish.  ;)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on June 12, 2021, 07:40:03 AM
Hmm. Someone seems to have an Apple fetish.  ;)

I was going to say that but you beat me to it! Buster has a new love.

buster

This pic shows the theme and I am wondering if it is at all like a Mac. Anyone know?

fox

Assuming that this is a serious question, then yes and no. The dock is very Mac-like, as is the desktop picture. The icons and window controls are not. And there is no menubar.

buster

Does the menu bar have to be at the bottom, or can it be on any of the other 3 sides? And if so, which one is the default?

buster

fox

In the Mac OS, the default position of the dock is at the bottom in the middle, just like in your picture. The dock can be moved to the left or right sides. The menubar is always at the top.

Jason

If you start with a MATE desktop, I believe it comes with a menu bar at the top and you can add Plank. But you can also add a Panel in most desktop environments at the top. But if you want it to look like a Mac, elementary OS is the way to go. It even has the right look to it. Not perfect, but much closer. And I think its file manager is more like the Mac one although Fox would have to check to be sure. Why are you trying to make it look like a Mac anyway?

buster

1. Glen suggested we design our own disto.
2. Bill suggested a one click off button.
3.  I suggested a liftlock picture for wallpaper.
4. Nothing happened.
5. I suggested a Mac lookalike and Glen said sure.
6. I've been working with the stability of Ubuntu, the flexibility of Plasma, the speed of Q4OS using Ubuntu Quark.

That's how we got to this point, and here's a new picture.

I have no problem letting someone else moving us in a new direction.