Linux & Android > Distributions

A fun thought I had today - how about a PLUG Linux distro?

(1/8) > >>

gmiller1977:
I was splitting a ton(ne) of firewood today; and the conversation about Unity, vs other DTEs got me thinking..... how about we build a PLUG distro/desktop?  It would be interesting to see how we all use the system, and the choices that are made.

I figure we can use a free tier cloud provider, it's just for fun, afterall.

Thoughts?

Let's see what type of monster we can make :)

ssfc72:
For a custom Distro, I would want to have a 1 click Shutdown button, on the Desktop.
Non of the nonsense, were you have to click an series of actions 2 or 3 times to shutdown the OS and computer.

gmiller1977:

--- Quote from: ssfc72 on May 31, 2021, 08:04:03 am ---For a custom Distro, I would want to have a 1 click Shutdown button, on the Desktop.
Non of the nonsense, were you have to click an series of actions 2 or 3 times to shutdown the OS and computer.

--- End quote ---

LOL - we can write a custom applet called PowerCord.  Doubleclick and it turns the power off without warning.

buster:

--- Quote from: gmiller1977 on May 29, 2021, 08:35:06 pm ---I was splitting a ton(ne) of firewood today; and the conversation about Unity, vs other DTEs got me thinking..... how about we build a PLUG distro/desktop?  It would be interesting to see how we all use the system, and the choices that are made.

--- End quote ---

There used to be popular distros that allowed you to make all kinds of changes to their distro, including software selection, themes, and whatever, and then you could save it as an iso. That seems like a pleasant way to do it rather than building from the ground up. (My religion doesn't allow me to use the command line more than necessary.)

A desktop like a mac would be interesting, as was being done by Pear Linux a few years ago until it was shut down. That could be built fairly easily on a plasma base using Plank. Personally for building I would shy away from Gnome or Xfce for selfish reasons. And the default wall paper would have to be the lift-lock, preferably with a canoe in the foreground.

fox:

--- Quote from: buster on May 31, 2021, 11:56:57 am ---There used to be popular distros that allowed you to make all kinds of changes to their distro, including software selection, themes, and whatever, and then you could save it as an iso. That seems like a pleasant way to do it rather than building from the ground up.

--- End quote ---

I think that you are referring to Linux from Scratch. I wouldn't say that it is popular (#136 on DistroWatch), but it is being maintained (last update 3/2021), and even better, it's Canadian!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version