• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Elementary OS 6.0 has been released

Started by ssfc72, August 11, 2021, 04:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

I see on Distrowatch that Elementary OS 6.0 has been released.  It is based on Ubuntu.
The Desktop screenshot looks nice and the security features of the Distro sounds like a good thing.
I may try to do a virtual install of the Distro to see if it plays well with the programs and tasks that I use on my notebook computer.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

The features list is pretty impressive! It's also the most attractive and informative page of any distro's website that I've seen detailing the changes with screenshots showing the applications.

I didn't realize that Flatpaks provided program isolation. I just knew that they made it easier for developers by distributing programs for multiple Linux distros easy (like Snap and AppImages). With the program isolating, users can benefit as well.

Note that if you do a virtual install, you might find the performance awful in a guest VM in a Windows host. That was Buster's experience way back when. For Linux hosts, it seemed to work fine. Just make sure you allocate enough RAM for it.

I'd still be using it except that the PIA tray icon doesn't show up. If you have it running automatically on start, it'll be running in the background, you just can't switch it. But maybe they've fixed that with its own icon.

Edit: Fixed a typo.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Have you tried Elementary 6, Jason? I'm surprised about the PIA icon not showing up, but PIA is always updating their app so maybe it works now in Elementary. I can tell you that the PIA icon shows up in my menu bar in Ubuntu running with its default version of Gnome.

I did try Elementary as few versions ago, but didn't find it to my liking. As I recall, it is missing some options that are available in Ubuntu. Also, the desktop is too Mac-like for my taste. You might find that ironic, given that my desktop computers are Macs, but I never liked the look of the MacOS desktop. (Nor the Windows desktop either.)
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on August 25, 2021, 10:38:19 AM
Have you tried Elementary 6, Jason? I'm surprised about the PIA icon not showing up, but PIA is always updating their app so maybe it works now in Elementary. I can tell you that the PIA icon shows up in my menu bar in Ubuntu running with its default version of Gnome.

I did try Elementary as few versions ago, but didn't find it to my liking. As I recall, it is missing some options that are available in Ubuntu. Also, the desktop is too Mac-like for my taste. You might find that ironic, given that my desktop computers are Macs, but I never liked the look of the MacOS desktop. (Nor the Windows desktop either.)

I do find it ironic. :D It must be why you like vanilla Ubuntu because pretty much all the other distros use a menu that looks like the Windows setup, well, the Windows 7 one anyway, or a dock that looks MacOS-ish. It looks like Windows 11 has a radical change to the GUI that includes a MacOS-like dock. It'd be nice if somebody came up with an actual new GUI.

Regarding PIA, I didn't try this version of elementary so I have no idea if it shows up there. I hadn't considered it before but your mention of it in Ubuntu made me think. Perhaps putting it in the dock (or plank as they call it) would work well enough. Right now I'm not using a VPN though. When I got away from torrents, I've worried less about what my ISP or the "Internet police" might see.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Quote from: Jason on August 25, 2021, 11:26:24 PM
I do find it ironic. :D It must be why you like vanilla Ubuntu because pretty much all the other distros use a menu that looks like the Windows setup, well, the Windows 7 one anyway, or a dock that looks MacOS-ish. It looks like Windows 11 has a radical change to the GUI that includes a MacOS-like dock. ....

Double ironic that, from what I've seen of the Windows 11 desktop, it looks pretty nice and much nicer than the MacOS desktop. I like the colours, icons and background, and the dock doesn't have that 3D look that I find unattactive.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13