• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Run the Mac OS on Linux with Sosumi

Started by fox, May 29, 2021, 12:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Anyone interested in having a Mac OS virtual machine on their PC inside Linux? If so, there is a snap application called Sosumi that does this very simply. A one-click install and then messing with a few settings if you want to change the default. Instructions can be found in this YouTube video.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Yep, I was looking at trying that, before I got side tracked with doing my income tax. :-(

I haven't seen this video before but I was watching other YouTube videos about using Sosumi, to run a virtual Mac OS.
The video I was watching was running Sosumi, on a Host Ubuntu.
I tried it with my Mint as a Host and immediately hit a wall with getting the Snap software to work.  That was as far as I got and was going to try again with Ubuntu, installed on the computer hard drive, but then I had to stop and get my income tax done.

I will be trying again.

Thanks Fox,for the Link to this video.

Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Mint is set up to be not Snap-friendly, but here are some instructions on how to install snap on Mint. It looks pretty straightforward. In case you're interested, here is an article that gives some background into Mint's aversion for snap packages.

ssfc72

Thanks Mike.  I did Google, for a fix to using Snap on the Mint Distro, but I did not have any success, so I will just try again using Ubuntu as a Host.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Interesting. I don't know if I have enough RAM in my system for this to work but it looks easy enough just to give it a shot and see what happens.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Questions for Dr Mike:

#1. Anytime I've installed something as a virtual in vmware, there was a pretty good chance the installed system would find the correct resolution when I made it full screen. And if not, there was a simple way to fix this using a right click or using the menu and finding something like 'Appearance'. Am I correct in assuming that Mac would have a very similar method? I noticed in the video the speaker altered the numbers, which I haven't done for at  least 15 years.

#2. Any idea where the speaker got his Mac OS, since he noted the shady nature of putting the OS in a virtual machine? I'm thinking if it's available and easily obtainable, it might fit nicely into vmware.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

Quote from: buster on June 01, 2021, 01:38:20 PM
Questions for Dr Mike:

#1. Anytime I've installed something as a virtual in vmware, there was a pretty good chance the installed system would find the correct resolution when I made it full screen. And if not, there was a simple way to fix this using a right click or using the menu and finding something like 'Appearance'. Am I correct in assuming that Mac would have a very similar method? I noticed in the video the speaker altered the numbers, which I haven't done for at  least 15 years.
Yes, even if the vm cannot use its extras to adjust the resolution, it should be possible by selecting the correct resolution within System Prefererences.

Quote from: buster on June 01, 2021, 01:38:20 PM
#2. Any idea where the speaker got his Mac OS, since he noted the shady nature of putting the OS in a virtual machine? I'm thinking if it's available and easily obtainable, it might fit nicely into vmware.
In a nutshell, no. He probably was a Mac user, or had access to a Mac, which would allow him to download the High Sierra version. As a Mac user, I have access to it through the Apple Store.

I might add that I have made working Mac vms in the past in Virtualbox and/or VMware. This is relatively easy if you're running them in a Linux distro on a Mac. However, I managed to it once from on a PC, using a website that developed a file and instructions for using it to create a Mac vm on a PC. If you Google "install Mac virtual machine on a PC, you'll find a number of sites with instructions on how to do this. But the beauty of Sosumi is the ease of doing this. The developer has done all the hard lifting already.

Jason

Quote from: fox on June 01, 2021, 03:34:33 PM
In a nutshell, no. He probably was a Mac user, or had access to a Mac, which would allow him to download the High Sierra version. As a Mac user, I have access to it through the Apple Store.

Wasn't it Catalina? It mentions that in the info below the video. Not that I'd have the slightest idea of the difference between Catalina, High Sierra, Mountain Lion, or Pretty Kitty versions of the MacOS.

Btw, has anyone tried saying the name aloud? It speaks to the "shady nature!"
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

Oh, crap, just saw this in the notes! I didn't notice it until after I installed and then started Sosumi.

QuoteTo begin with, you'll have to format the virtual disk that the VM has created for you. Double click on "disk utility", and select the disk called "Apple Inc. VirtIO Block media", with a size of 68Gb

I don't have that kind of space available on my laptop. I'll have to wait until I get my former system up and running again.

fox

Quote from: Jason on June 02, 2021, 12:23:14 PM
Wasn't it Catalina? It mentions that in the info below the video. Not that I'd have the slightest idea of the difference between Catalina, High Sierra, Mountain Lion, or Pretty Kitty versions of the MacOS.
My bad. Catalina is correct. Catalina is the next to most recent version of the MacOS.