• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

How do you use Linux?

Started by Jason, May 25, 2021, 04:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Another topic inspired this one. The feel of a system in terms of performance can vary widely according to not just the hardware but what software is running and what the user is doing with it. It might be interesting to see how we use our systems, therefore. Feel free to submit whatever information you're willing to share on how you use your system or systems but here are some prompters. Just pick one or several.

I know that many people here use multiple systems but I bet you have a favourite that you spend the most time on. But if not, just pick one.

What programs do you often have running at the same time and are you working them hard? For example, if you have Firefox open, how many tabs are usually open? Or are you more of a one-thing-at-a-time kind of guy running just one program and then closing it when you open another?

Do you normally have a terminal program going (as most smart Linux users do), a file manager, a photo editor? Do you have a word processor going?

Do you have any background activities or programs that you are running but rarely see like backup programs?

Is your PC (or Mac) doing anything in the background on a regular basis, like backups, compiling code, etc. Or do you watch a tv show or movie while doing something else or listen to music?

I know a lot of these are general and you might find it hard to even define what your typical usage is but you could give a range from light use to heavy use, too. These answers might give others an idea of how much of a multi-tasker we are and how much we push our systems.

Another thing I'm fascinated by is how much RAM do you use when you are working your system to the max and how does that compare to how much your system has? You could give the RAM usage as a percent.

Have you hit a wall? In other words, have you reached a point where your system started crawling probably because it was almost out of RAM but maybe because you're doing something that is just a lot of work for your processor or graphics sub-system? And what were you doing when that happened?

Those things matter more than what distro and desktop environment you're using (if you have the option of more than one) but feel free to mention that, too.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I'll talk about Ubuntu 21.04 on my 2019 i5 iMac. In general I would say I'm not a demanding user in terms of heavy programs or number of programs open. I typically have 2-5 programs open at a time: my browser (Firefox), my email client (Thunderbird), a word processor or spreadsheet (typically LibreOffice but sometimes MS Office 2010 running in Wine), and a calendar program (I'm using MineTime). When I have the browser open, I typically have 2-5 tabs; almost never 10 at a time. Right now I have open Thunderbird, LibreOffice Calc, FoxitReader (PDF reader), Firefox (3 tabs) and a terminal. I have 8 gb RAM on this Mac and 3.2 are being used. Closing everything but Firefox (one tab) and the terminal shows 2.9 gb RAM being used. I also have 2 gb swap, and almost none of that is being used.

My iMac feels very fast in Ubuntu (or the Mac OS); much faster than my older (2011) iMac, and the video card on the 2019 (AMD Radeon rx 470) seems pretty capable. The internal SSD (500 gb) is super-fast. Ironically, the older iMac is a better match for Linux because Linux runs all of its components, whereas my wifi card, internal mic and internal speakers of the 2019 do not run in any distro I have tried.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

gmiller1977

Honestly, I gave up on Linux as a desktop environment over a decade ago. 

As a server, it really has some merits.... especially for businesses where it can offer performance and save on licensing.

As a desktop (by that I mean Linux distros, not offshoots like Android, Chrome OS, etc), it has routinely failed to meet my needs.  I grew tired of the bugs in front facing software.  I HATED power management issues.  Of course, everyone has unique needs, and I don't suggest that I can transplant my problems onto another user.

What I've found is that I need the compatibility of a commercial OS, yet I use a lot of FOSS utilities and applications to round it all out.

Having said that, my daughter LOVED tooling around with my Raspberry Pi 4, and it was a lot of fun to watch - she was intersted; and Linux provided that. 

There is still value in Linux, but I think most of the distributions are missing the mark.

buster

Gmiller wrote: "Honestly, I gave up on Linux as a desktop environment over a decade ago."

Well aren't you the brave one! I have defended Windows for ages, but that's just because of specific needs.

I think the Linux of a decade ago is not the Linux of today. It might be worth trying. Our best computer runs Linux, and it's now Marilyn's, and I doubt she would notice what the underlying OS is. Some years she's in Windows, some years in Linux. In most cases the software is identical for her. I set up all her computers to look basically the same no matter what the OS. Our Linux seems to have no bugs with the software she uses. Probably have more upgrading issues with Windows, but neither is a big deal.

I do suspect you might be looking for an argument  :) . ( Jason will jump in here soon no doubt. ) I might be enticed to argue that crunchy peanut butter on toasted raisin is the best breakfast that it is possible to make, you know, something important in life. But I am happy generally with Mac, Windows or Linux.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

Mac, Buster? When have you used the Mac OS?

fox

Quote from: gmiller1977 on May 25, 2021, 08:42:42 PM
What I've found is that I need the compatibility of a commercial OS, yet I use a lot of FOSS utilities and applications to round it all out.

I do use Windows 10, only for tax software I have needed to file U.S. returns for family. My biggest gripe against Windows is the update process. It takes forever, and some of the main updates don't even take. I have tried 3 or 4 times for one of the current ones. It downloads the update, tries to apply it, gets to the 100% mark, and then tells me it couldn't install it. So is a commercial OS necessarily better?

In terms of compatibility, I will admit that I have some issues with that in Linux; most notably with versions of Microsoft Office newer than 2010. Also with Adobe Reader, as current versions of it are unavailable for Linux. I am able to get around the problems most of the time with FOSS applications like LibreOffice and free versions of commercial software like Foxit Reader, but from time to time I am forced to boot into the Mac OS or Windows to get something done. Admittedly a pain, but it isn't that often and I'm willing to put up with it to have more control of my computer.

I have been using Ubuntu for about 10 years; I have it as a dual boot with the Mac. In all that time I have never had a problem with its installation or upgrade. Same with the Mac OS, so I'm not saying that open source is necessarily better than a commercial OS, but in my experience, it's better than one of them.

buster

"Mac, Buster? When have you used the Mac OS?"

The first time was at least a quarter century ago when skiing in Ottawa. My friend Anne had a Mac, and that was the first time I had used a mouse. I was there about a week. And two of my non-technical friends had Macs, and I was the fixer for their systems, Internet and printer. And when we socialized as a group, and a computer was needed, I used their Mac.

Nothing profound or intricate. But desktops are just desktops - they have a logic to them. Adequate software is sometimes the problem though. And that applies in Windows too. There is often a price for programs in Win10, whereas Linux may have a perfect substitute free. And my favourite solitaire card game is not found anywhere except in Linux.

If you build a computer from parts salvaged from various sources, purchasing Win10 is outrageously expensive. Mint Linux has a very attractive price.

gmiller1977

Quote from: buster on May 25, 2021, 09:41:47 PM
Gmiller wrote: "Honestly, I gave up on Linux as a desktop environment over a decade ago."

Well aren't you the brave one! I have defended Windows for ages, but that's just because of specific needs.

I have no love for Windows either, but, it does offer far better power management on the hardware that I'm running it on.  I've played with distros here and there over the last few years, and they still have many of the same problems they did years ago.  I like being able to get 8 hours on a battery charge on my laptop, vs the 3 hours I get with Linux.

Like I said, Linux is great.  I love it for small workgroup servers and it has made me appreciate so many of the utilities that are available for it, and crossplatform for other OSs

gmiller1977

Quote from: fox on May 26, 2021, 07:25:27 AM
I do use Windows 10, only for tax software I have needed to file U.S. returns for family. My biggest gripe against Windows is the update process. It takes forever, and some of the main updates don't even take. I have tried 3 or 4 times for one of the current ones. It downloads the update, tries to apply it, gets to the 100% mark, and then tells me it couldn't install it. So is a commercial OS necessarily better?

The Windows Update process is terrible.  I know the problems you speak of.  Luckily I haven't had it happen to me recently (but I have about a bajillion policies on my computer that help protect me from the problems Windows Update often causes), but I come across the problem at least once a week a client.

I guess it depends on your definition of better.  I get better battery life on Windows.  When I'm mobile, this is really important to me.  From an application perspective, there isn't much I can't do on Linux.

Do I advocate for Windows?  No.  It's been broken for a long time and will likely be for the near future.

gmiller1977

Quote from: buster on May 26, 2021, 09:06:25 AM
If you build a computer from parts salvaged from various sources, purchasing Win10 is outrageously expensive. Mint Linux has a very attractive price.

Slightly off topic, but should you find yourself in this situation (and you have a few minutes to spare), you may try loading Windows 10 on the computer (making the ESD media direct from Microsoft's website).  I've had LOTS of computers that activate a Windows 10 Home license if you do an install on cobbled together hardware; I don't know why or what it's looking at to get the activation, but it works.

Alternatively, if you have a Windows 7 system (or even Vista), you can do an upgrade for free.

Otherwise, I agree.... spending hundreds of dollars on a retail license for a spare parts machine is kind of silly.  This is an excellent place for a desktop oriented distro like Mint and it will provide much of the same functionality a Windows machine does.

fox

Quote from: gmiller1977 on May 26, 2021, 11:00:07 AM
I guess it depends on your definition of better.  I get better battery life on Windows.  When I'm mobile, this is really important to me.

That surprises me. On my Dell xps 2 in 1, I get better battery life on Ubuntu 20.04 than Windows 10, or at least I think I do, using TLP to provide battery-saving settings. (Typically about 8 hours.) The same was true of my previous Dell 13" xps. I've heard it said in the past that Linux gets poor battery life on laptops, but I haven't found that to be true. Maybe with default battery settings?

Jason

Quote from: gmiller1977 on May 25, 2021, 08:42:42 PM

Perhaps you should take a more recent look? Linux has matured a lot in that time.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

I have to note that of the various questions, only Fox answered them. HOW do you use your LINUX desktops? Not whether Windows (or Linux) sucks or why it sucks.

I could have also asked what hardware your main system. I know several say they don't have a single main system, so in that case, just pick one. How well it runs and what kind of programs and how many could be largely affected by the hardware.

I noticed that gmiller doesn't use Linux on the desktop. What do you run on your Linux server? I'm guessing you have one for yourself, right? Or what do you often run for your clients? What are the specs on it? Is it virtual or bare metal? Anybody with Linux servers to administer for themselves or clients can give some input. I'm hoping that some other Linux server gurus like cod3poet and Scott jump in here, too.

buster

Gmiller: " I've had LOTS of computers that activate a Windows 10 Home license if you do an install on cobbled together hardware; I don't know why or what it's looking at to get the activation, but it works. Alternatively, if you have a Windows 7 system (or even Vista), you can do an upgrade for free."

Have upgraded old computers that once had Win7 many times, usually for friends, but a few times on my own systems as well. Any relatively intact computer that once had Windows can get a new Windows OS from their site, sometimes useful if the HD dies.  But this cobbled together very nice computer of mine would not give me a valid Win10 OS.

buster

Jason: "I have to note that of the various questions, only Fox seemed to understand the question. "

Yea, but he's really smart - no fair!