• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Fairhaven COVID case

Started by Jason, May 18, 2021, 10:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Greeeeeeeat. The day after I'm there I find out that a staff member tested positive! They go it from outside. I'm calling tomorrow to get the details because they did NOT inform me like the post says they would. I was going there tomorrow but I'm not sure I will now. I cut back on visits to my brother just because the number of active cases in Peterborough has shot up. I'd likely be fine if I got it. I'm only 50 and I've had my first shot. But my wife is in a high-risk group.

Fairhaven wasn't my first choice for my brother exactly for this reason. They've had two outbreaks since the pandemic started. I don't believe any other LTC in Peterborough had more than one. They do rapid PCR testing and a temperature check along with the usual questions before you can visit but I don't know how well they sanitize the place.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

I talked to a social worker who is frequently at Fairhaven and I'm not worried now. The staff member wasn't in contact with my brother or me. The staff member had had only their first shot which surprises me. I would have thought they'd all be fully vaccinated since they started getting first shots starting back in Jan/Feb. At least the residents all are. I visited my brother and we had a pizza together outside. Any snacks you bring in have to be quarantined for 2 days before the residents can have them but by having it outside we got around that. He was happy about that.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

fox

I'm glad you're relieved. Do you think you should get tested anyway?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

gmiller1977

Quote from: Jason on May 21, 2021, 10:22:59 AM
I talked to a social worker who is frequently at Fairhaven and I'm not worried now. The staff member wasn't in contact with my brother or me. The staff member had had only their first shot which surprises me. I would have thought they'd all be fully vaccinated since they started getting first shots starting back in Jan/Feb. At least the residents all are. I visited my brother and we had a pizza together outside. Any snacks you bring in have to be quarantined for 2 days before the residents can have them but by having it outside we got around that. He was happy about that.

Local media is reporting that a resident has tested positive as well:

https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/news/peterborough-region/2021/05/21/covid-19-outbreak-declared-at-fairhaven-15-new-cases-in-peterborough.html

Glad you and your brother are safe though; pizza always helps :)

Jason

Quote from: fox on May 21, 2021, 04:41:22 PM
I'm glad you're relieved. Do you think you should get tested anyway?

They do rapid testing on the way in with a temperature check and on the way out they do the temperature check again. You have to get tested every time you visit with a maximum of 3 tests a week. You have to wear a mask *and* a face shield and gown while you're there so I feel pretty good about it.

While we sitting outside at a table waiting for the pizza to arrive, we weren't wearing masks. My brother doesn't have to wear one except when he leaves his room but a staff member said he could take off once we were outside as well as me as long as we keep apart.

A while later a staff member came out to tell us we both needed to wear masks and I had to add my face shield until we were eating. I thought maybe that was over-the-top but was more annoyed that one staff member said something and another tells us differently. But we did it anyway. I didn't want to create an incident that would wind up on the evening news. :D

So they do seem to take a lot of precautions. I just kind of freaked out when I read about the case right after I was there. If I feel unwell in the next week or so, I'll get tested.

Jason

Thanks for the info, gmiller. I was going to be visiting tomorrow. Looks like I won't be now. My brother is on a different floor from the patient in Westview 5. Every wing has its own dining room section and nurses so he/I should be fine. If I feel ill, I can get tested at Shoppers as a caregiver to an LTC. I also have the covid alert app.

gmiller1977

Quote from: Jason on May 21, 2021, 06:35:08 PM
Thanks for the info, gmiller. I was going to be visiting tomorrow. Looks like I won't be now. My brother is on a different floor from the patient in Westview 5. Every wing has its own dining room section and nurses so he/I should be fine. If I feel ill, I can get tested at Shoppers as a caregiver to an LTC. I also have the covid alert app.

You're well prepared.  You and your brother will be just fine.

gmiller1977

My wife sent me this earlier today.  This is now the second fully vaccinated individual in LTC that I know of what has contracted COVID-19 (the first one is a personal contact; I do not know this new individual).

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/fully-vaccinated-ontario-long-term-care-resident-tests-positive-for-covid-19-1.5444117

Jason I hope your brother continues to be safe.

Jason

Interesting coincidence but that's all it is. The odds of winning the lottery are pretty slim but people still do. And even more, know those that did.

Thank you for your best wishes. I expect he'll be fine. :) I received an email from them. A part of it reads:

QuoteOur staff conducted PCR testing yesterday for all Fairhaven staff and Residents; each week testing will consist of one PCR test and one rapid antigen quick test, in accordance with Peterborough Public Health guidance and Ministry of Long Term Care guidelines.

Adding that to the ban on outside visitors, even caregivers, and I think the threat is minimized. If we did the same testing in the entire population of Peterborough, it'd be interesting to see how many tested positive.