• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

SSD testing program

Started by Jason, May 04, 2021, 11:11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I want to start testing my hardware to see if it's causing a few issues in Linux, perhaps the drive is losing chunks of data. Does anyone know of a good SSD testing program? I now to test HDDs but I'm unsure if I should use them to test SSD drives because of the drive having limited re-writes to it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

gmiller1977

What is the make of the SSD?  If it's Intel or Toshiba, they have testing tools.

I'm sure other manufacturers do too.

Jason

I was looking for a specific recommendation of a tool for any SSD drive. But things seem to be fine now after a re-install so I think it was just some corrupted files.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

gmiller1977

The only reason I ask is although there are many generic utilities (for both HDD and SSD), individual manufacturers have their own applications that talk directly to their drives for diagnostics.  For example, Seagate has Seatools, and WD has utility dashboard.  Although a more generic utility will talk to SMART on the drive, and be able to detect bad sectors or reallocated units, etc.... often times, the first party utility will do additional logic traces that more generic applications will not have the ability to do or may otherwise ignore.

Jason

Thanks for the info. I have used some of them in the past (when HDDs were all the rage!).

gmiller1977

Of course, I was referring to the SSD versions of such tools.  I am however, happy that a reinstall has corrected the problems you faced!

Jason

Quote from: gmiller1977 on May 17, 2021, 08:09:29 PM
Of course, I was referring to the SSD versions of such tools.  I am however, happy that a reinstall has corrected the problems you faced!

Thanks. I wish I knew *why* I had the problem. But often it's just so much easier to re-install than to chase a problem down, at least for desktops. And with Linux installs are so fast, too. I spend more time installing the extra programs that aren't in the official repos and customizing my setup than the install. And it does give a chance to try a new Linux distro. The one I'm using now, Xubuntu, is plain-jane-looking and with no bells and whistles but it does the job and is faster than Zorin (even the Lite version) and about the same speed as Lubuntu which is kind of a Frankenstein distro.

fox

So the corrupted files were system files, as opposed to files in your Home directory?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Quote from: fox on May 18, 2021, 08:01:44 AM
So the corrupted files were system files, as opposed to files in your Home directory?

I honestly have no idea as I also cleansed my home just to be safe. I do my backups via SpiderOak so it's easy enough. It could have been there. I wonder if there's a Linux equivalent of the Windows file verifier SFC. I'll have to do some searches.