Author Topic: Could anyone use a Chromebook?  (Read 42 times)

Offline gmiller1977

• Posting Member
Could anyone use a Chromebook?
« on: May 04, 2021, 10:56:49 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm doing my routine cleanup of quality hardware that is no longer being used.  My wife has an older Samsung Chromebook 2, it would be perfect for a student, or perhaps a parent who just wants to get on the internet to do work, or browse the web, etc.  I've attached an image of what it looks like (not the actual unit).

The device is no longer officially supported, and stopped receiving updates at Chrome OS 75.XXX

It is in fantastic shape, has a working/strong battery, built in webcam and even includes a SNAZZY *PINK* (like everything else my wife has LOL) clamshell case (don't worry it's removable).  It won't win any benchmarks, but it is still a useable device.

Free to a good home.

No pets, no smoking/vaping, covid, ebola, etc. in our house.

Let me know if any of you know of someone who could use a simple device like this.

Offline Jason

• President
  • Administrator
  • Humanist. Skeptic. Husband.
Re: Could anyone use a Chromebook?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 11:05:31 am »
I think I already received a Fire tablet from you but... I'm wondering what specs this has? I know someone who might be able to use it. Is it okay for browsing and maybe light word processor usage?
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Offline gmiller1977

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 11:49:03 am »
I think I already received a Fire tablet from you but... I'm wondering what specs this has? I know someone who might be able to use it. Is it okay for browsing and maybe light word processor usage?

Hi Jason,

It's got an Exynos processor (a Samsung 32-bit ARM CPU) and 2GB of RAM.  I think it has 16GB of local storage.  It's a Chromebook so it's heavily tied to Google services like Chrome, Drive, Meet, etc.  As a device which can access Google Drive (Docs, Sheets and Slides) it's more than adequate for that and it does web browsing just fine too!  As long as the user has a free GMail account, they will be good to go!

Offline Jason

• President
  • Administrator
  • Humanist. Skeptic. Husband.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 08:03:21 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what size is the screen? And I don't suppose it has external VGA or HDMI? I'm going to be fixing a friend's computer, or at least trying to. If it doesn't work, this might work for her. I don't know if there are Windows programs she needs. I'll get back to you on this but in the meantime if anyone else happens to be interested, let them have it.
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Offline gmiller1977

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 05:11:40 pm »
Hi Jason, I think it's 11.6".

There is an HDMI connector on it as well.