• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Looking for a power suppy for a Dell Precision T3400

Started by Jason, March 13, 2021, 04:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Text in bold below is the most important info to read if you're in a hurry.

The power supply died on my wife's computer. I've looked online and seen replacement costs from $49 to $200+! I kid you not! But even the $49 one costs $25 in S & H. And right now, we're pretty broke.

So I wondered if any of you had one lying around or a 525 W power supply that would just fit the unit. I could probably do with much lower wattage. It has an Nvidia GT 640 card that doesn't require external power. It looks proprietary but I haven't seen a lot of power supplies so I'm not sure. The cables on the inside go into this square hardness connector. Attached is a picture of the sticker on it.

It'd likely be close or cheaper to just get a new-to-me computer but it's only 13 years old! Come one! It doesn't even have chest hair! And with an SSD drive, it runs pretty decently. I'd rather not chuck something that can be fixed for the sake of the environment.

We need it soon, obviously, but I can send the donor some money at the end of the month. If I can't find something, I'll probably have to disappear from computerdom for a while to let her use mine as my wife's computer is her and our entertainment box.

Update: Forgot to add that if anybody has advice on finding compatible power supplies, not from Dell, that might be helpful. Or any other related advice. And if you're still out there Dougal, do you have any of those units since you get a lot of computers coming in to Restore?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

I wonder if reBOOT would have anything like that? Worth a call.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I was thinking of that. The computer originally came from Reboot but that was 5 or more years ago. I'll give them a call, maybe bring it so they can see it. I think they might just be doing curbside by appointment even though they're considered essential. Unfortunately, I can't afford one right now and I can't image they will give it away for free or on credit. But it can't hurt to ask, I guess.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

gmiller1977

Quote from: Jason on March 13, 2021, 05:03:23 PM
I was thinking of that. The computer originally came from Reboot but that was 5 or more years ago. I'll give them a call, maybe bring it so they can see it. I think they might just be doing curbside by appointment even though they're considered essential. Unfortunately, I can't afford one right now and I can't image they will give it away for free or on credit. But it can't hurt to ask, I guess.

Hi Jason, that looks like a pretty bog standard ATX power supply to me.  Do you have measurements of it?

ssfc72

I have an old Win XP desktop computer that I was going to gut some parts out and then take to the recycle place.
If the power supply from it, is the same format that your computer uses, then you can have the power supply.  Find out what type of power supply you need Jason.

Edit:  My Win XP computer is a Dell Dimension 2400, so I don't think it will have the power supply that your Dell needs. :-(   The label on the PS shows,  CN-0P0304-17972-38F-2FLG
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

William

If that doesn't work, I have an old generic tower that is half gutted for recycling.  It has 8GB DDR2, so it may be of use to you, in addition to the power supply. 

Jason

Quote from: gmiller1977 on March 13, 2021, 06:39:37 PM
Hi Jason, that looks like a pretty bog standard ATX power supply to me.  Do you have measurements of it?

The size looks similar but the fan placement is a bit different. I'll measure it tomorrow and show what each side looks like. I don't know it matters but it might.

kalabaster

We have gone over this already Jason. You however left me with the impression that it was a JDEC standard PSU whereas I believe Dell are not ! I have just recently commissioned a Dell of that very vintage for a cancer victim that needed to go online. he took a laptop in its' place so now I have a functional Dell in my midst. Had things been " normal " I could have brought it to you.  Opportunity lost I suppose.  Dell did something proprietary with their connector the way they were keyed.   https://www.recycledgoods.com/dell-intel-p4-1-8ghz-128mb-ram-30gb-hdd-dimension-2300/
MACbook Pro 1501, Catalina| ASUS ROG Crosshair AMD PCLinux | HP AIO Elite, Win 10 Pro| HP Folio 14, Win 10 Pro| ASUS M32CD, PCLinux/Trinity

Jason

Quote from: kalabaster on April 20, 2021, 09:53:53 PM
We have gone over this already Jason.

That was for a different machine, my desktop. I do think it's a Dell, too, though. It's in a different case so I'd have to recall. And yeah, I was worried about the PSU being different - it certainly looked different. So I anted up and paid the extra to get one that I knew would be compatible. It wasn't Dell specifically but was made to replace a Dell power supply. It worked. The fan is on all the time though so I'm thinking her processor needs new thermal paste, too. I bought some but have yet to apply.

Jason

Quote from: William on March 14, 2021, 12:49:29 AM
If that doesn't work, I have an old generic tower that is half gutted for recycling.  It has 8GB DDR2, so it may be of use to you, in addition to the power supply.

Thanks, William. Sorry that I hadn't replied earlier. Somehow the forum didn't notify me of this post. I have it now and it works. But if you happen to be in Peterborough sometime, I'd be happy to take that RAM off your hands if it's 2 x 4 GB or 1 x 8 GB. :)

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on March 13, 2021, 07:20:40 PM
I have an old Win XP desktop computer that I was going to gut some parts out and then take to the recycle place.
If the power supply from it, is the same format that your computer uses, then you can have the power supply.  Find out what type of power supply you need Jason.

Edit:  My Win XP computer is a Dell Dimension 2400, so I don't think it will have the power supply that your Dell needs. :-(   The label on the PS shows,  CN-0P0304-17972-38F-2FLG

Ugh, another post that the forum didn't notify me about! Drat! It would have been worth trying but I ended up buying one. Oh, well. Thanks for offering.