• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Important Date on the Calendar

Started by buster, May 03, 2021, 11:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buster

Tomorrow is an important day, and to commemorate it, when you greet people, you shouldn't say 'Hello'. You should say

'May the 4th be with you.'
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I didn't know you were a Star Wars fan.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

gmiller1977

A week late reading this, but, I sent out my "May the fourth greetings" again this year LOL

My daughter saw part of the original movie on the 4th too.  Although cleaned up, altered, modified, made better, etc.... it's still a great movie and she was totally into it.

Any Star Trek fans here?

ssfc72

I liked the original TV series, the best.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

"Any Star Trek fans here?"

I am old enough that we started watching the series before it became well known. Heady days. Also many people don't realize that the actors in the original were paid for their work in the filming, salary or hourly, with no residuals as the popularity of the show grew. None of them made much money til the movies were made years later.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I like all of the Star Trek series and most of the movies even though some were pretty campy. ST: Enterprise is still my favourite. I was a fan of the original Battlestar Galactica and the newer darker version as well and Babylon Five which, like Star Wars, could have some really bad dialogue at times. But the concepts were great.

I didn't know that about ST: TOS, Buster. Isn't that the case with most actors though? That they get paid a set rate? I do know that much of the cast didn't like William Shatner because he'd take their scenes. James Doohan wouldn't even talk to him to his death and George Takei was pretty pissed with him, too. Shatner says in his book on his Star Trek experience that he didn't know cast members disliked him.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

gmiller1977

Quote from: Jason on May 12, 2021, 01:47:13 PM
James Doohan wouldn't even talk to him until his death and George Takei was pretty pissed with him, too. Shatner says in his book on his Star Trek experience that he didn't know cast members disliked him.

James Doohan wouldn't talk to Shatner "until his death"?  I wonder what they discussed AFTER Scotty died?  How did Scotty do it? Was Scotty stuck in the transporter buffer (again)?  Scotty was cool, but I didn't realize he was THAT cool.  What info are you privy to, Jason?

(Sorry, you're picking on my grammar, I figured I'd pick on yours.  LOL)

My Mom met Shatner in the 90s while she was a recptionist at a photo studio, and he was, apparently, a total dick (he was very upset at the brand of bottled water they brought in).  I know it's only one person, but, my Mom basically liked everyone, EXCEPT the Captain of the Enterprise.

I still like Star Trek, and so did she.

Jason

Quote from: gmiller1977 on May 12, 2021, 09:28:50 PM
(Sorry, you're picking on my grammar, I figured I'd pick on yours.  LOL)

I only "picked" on it because I had no idea what you were saying. I wasn't doing it to be a dick. Anyway, thanks for the info, I fixed my post. I think I got it right this time.

Wil Wheaton, who played Wesley Crusher in ST:TNG, wrote in one of his books how he looked up to Shatner and "the Captain" wouldn't give him the time of day. Apparently, he hated the new series and thought Wheaton was just a kid who could be ignored. Later on the set, one of the cast members of ST:TNG helped him feel better by mentioning, "You know here wears a toupee, right?" And there was laughter.

gmiller1977

Quote from: Jason on May 14, 2021, 06:53:52 PM
I only "picked" on it because I had no idea what you were saying. I wasn't doing it to be a dick. Anyway, thanks for the info, I fixed my post. I think I got it right this time.

Wil Wheaton (played Wesley Crusher in ST:TNG) wrote in one of his books how he looked up to Shatner and "the Capatin" wouldn't even talk to him. Apparently, he hated the new series and thought Wheaton was just a kid who could be ignored. Later, on the set, one of the cast members of ST:TNG helped him feel better by mentioning that Shatner was mostly bald and that his "hair" was a toupee (sp?).

Just a joke, Jason, hence the LOL ;)

I never liked Wesley Crusher.  I never understood why they gave control of the Federation flagship to someone who just got their G1 :)

Jason

Quote from: gmiller1977 on May 15, 2021, 07:07:18 PM
I never liked Wesley Crusher.  I never understood why they gave control of the Federation flagship to someone who just got their G1 :)

LOL. I didn't care for his character either. In fairness, Wil Wheaton wanted better stories (and dialogue) for Wesley Crusher but they preferred he be this whiny teenager using dialogue that wasn't anything like actual teenagers used. But his character was a geek, just an annoying one. Wheaton himself is a pretty cool guy, though. He has a blog here. I relate to him because he's spent many years in depression. He also has a clever sense of humour.