Author Topic: Firefox is slower and heftier than Brave  (Read 52 times)

Offline Jason

• President
  • Administrator
  • Humanist. Skeptic. Husband.
Firefox is slower and heftier than Brave
« on: May 01, 2021, 12:37:28 pm »
Not a big long rant from me on it (first time for everything, eh?) but I started using Firefox because of a pernicious bug in the Brave browser and man, is it slower, compared to it. I'm not sure if it's because Brave blocks more ads or just has a faster engine (it uses the same one that powers Chrome/Chromium) but it's quite noticeable on many websites that I use.

The other thing is that Firefox takes more memory right off the bat. When you start Brave, it's about 1 GB of memory used with one extension (LastPass) and 3 tabs opened. When Firefox is opened, it uses about 300-500 MB more. It was at 300 MB and then moved up to 500 GB maybe because of fetches from the Forum.

For most people the higher memory usage won't matter but on this 4 GB system, I need everything I got to have multiple applications open and I've had this laptop freeze a few times because it had run out and was using the swap a lot (it got up to 1 GB at one point, it has 2 GB total).

I'm hoping the bug in Brave soon so I can go back to it. I also like how you can turn off the blocking of ads, etc. when a website gets all uppity about it. The bug is that it's not remembering that I was logged into a website when I close it and come back later. Very annoying.
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Offline gmiller1977

• Posting Member
Re: Firefox is slower and heftier than Brave
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:13:17 am »
Maybe I missed it in another thread, but what is the bug in Brave that you are referring to?

I used Firefox as a secondary browser for a long time, but moved to Brave about 4 months ago, and I agree that it makes FF look slow.

Offline Jason

• President
  • Administrator
  • Humanist. Skeptic. Husband.
Re: Firefox is slower and heftier than Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 10:44:35 am »
Maybe I missed it in another thread, but what is the bug in Brave that you are referring to?

I may not have mentioned it. But basically when I was logged into a website and exited the browser and came back, it "forgot" and I had to log in again. One guy in the Brave community was helpful in trying to track it down although we weren't able to. But we were able to ascertain that it wasn't a problem with the browser but something else (another program, the OS, just file corruption, who knows?). I found it out by following his suggestion to try installing and using Brave from a flash drive and Brave acted as expected. So I did a fresh install of Linux and all is well again.

For those curious, I installed Lubuntu 21.04, something I've demonstrated at a meeting but just to play with.
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata