• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Firefox is slower and heftier than Brave

Started by Jason, May 01, 2021, 12:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

I have been using Brave for about a week now, and I really like it. So far I've seen no downside to switching from FF to Brave, and this morning I discovered one upside. My desktop environment is Gnome, and there is an extension called Gnome Shell Extensions that I have been using to add and update Gnome extensions like Force Quit, Recent Items and Lock Keys. Each of these puts an icon in my menubar, and I can control and implement them from that icon. At some point recently, Gnome Shell Extensions stopped working in FF. I learned this morning that it was because FF in Ubuntu is now a Snap package. Brave is not, and I found it was easy to install Gnome Shell Extensions in Brave. I'm happy to have it back. Incidentally, you can install this in Chrome and even MS Edge. There is probably a way to install a non-Snap version of FF in Ubuntu; I haven't looked into that.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Thanks for the info, Fox.
I have also been now using Brave as my main browser, since the Opera browser for Linux, no longer players video clips from any websites that I go to (the Opera browser for Android, does still play video clips).
Brave does not have some features that I like and use on the Opera browser but it is as quick as the Opera browser.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I split the posts from before this one into two different posts in the Support question and locked the topic. It's old. Comments about Brave deserve a new topic and support questions or problems should be on the Support board.

Also, the Forum warns you when a topic hasn't been posted in at least 30 days and recommends starting a new topic. Please do this. It helps in finding things for those that may come across our Forum from elsewhere and in getting the most recent information.

For example, if a new post is made on a topic about software that is a year old, users may read that comment and then replies before it that no longer apply including the original post.

With great power comes great responsibility.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13