• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Cabin and solar stuff

Started by gmiller1977, April 22, 2021, 09:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmiller1977

It's been one month since we came up to our little cabin in the woods.  We've never stayed here this length of time, normally just staying a few days at a time, and then heading back home.  I think the longest time we stayed previously was 10 days, towards the end of October over Halloween.

Lots of work has been done up here this year, and today was another exciting day!  My 400Watt Renogy solar system arrived.  This system is large enough to run our solar fridge, and will dramatically cut down on our generator usage as a result.  It doubled our solar power.

It's amazing how inexpensive solar can be... and it's such a thrill to think you are literally running appliances for "free" (with the initial investment, of course).  400Watts of power was $450 from Renogy (this included the charge controller and all of the necessary hookups).

I'm a 12V geek lol

Jason

The power of the sun! If only we could harness it all! Btw, was it still warm up there today? And where are you located?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

gmiller1977

It's been quite cool the last few days.  At night, a couple of nights ago we dropped down to -10.

Today is sunny and the temperature is starting to climb back up... at least for a couple of days.  Hoping to get outside at night with my daughter to look at the stars. 

I'm amazed with my small solar system and what it can do.  We are never wanting for power.

We are in a little town called Restoule.  It's about 45 minutes south/west of North Bay.

buster

"We are in a little town called Restoule.  It's about 45 minutes south/west of North Bay."

Is there a provincial park near there? Seems to me Marilyn and I camped near Restoule on our travels years ago.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

gmiller1977

There is!  Restoule provincial park believe it or not!   ;D

gmiller1977

Just a follow up on this, our DC fridge now runs full time from solar power.

Jason

Quote from: gmiller1977 on May 15, 2021, 07:08:07 PM
Just a follow up on this, our DC fridge now runs full time from solar power.

Nice!
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13