• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

The Really Unpleasant Computer Problem

Started by buster, April 22, 2021, 05:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

Well thanks for that Fox.   >:(  I informed Ms Dao about your suggestion and she lit into me with venom and spite, fortunately mostly in mandarin, the gist of which was that she didn't want geeks living in basements staring at her picture. Under no conceivable conditions was her picture to be posted on the site. And no, she did not make her fortune in the 'movies'.

She was steaming angry, but maybe after time passes she'll phone back.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

That reminds me of something. I was married almost right after I left home but my older brother stayed. I went back to my old home one day with my wife to see if there was anything I forgot. She waited in the car. He looked at me sheepishly and said, "I don't know if you want to see this." It was a letter from an old girlfriend I hadn't talked to in a couple of years. I should have read it inside because when I get into the car with it and honestly (stupid, I know) told her it was from an old girlfriend, I've never seen her move so fast then or since to grab it out of my hands and open it. And then she wanted me to write a letter back to tell the girl that I was married. So yeah, don't get that picture sent to your home, especially if it's from an old girlfriend. But a new girlfriend would be fine.

And of course, this has nothing to do with Buster's story but there we go.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

That's very funny. Thanks for sharing, Jason.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on May 07, 2021, 04:56:20 PM
That's very funny. Thanks for sharing, Jason.

Thanks for reading. I'm sure Buster could have written it better.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

Quote from: Jason on May 08, 2021, 06:47:08 PM
I'm sure Buster could have written it better.

I doubt that very much!

gmiller1977

Quote from: Jason on May 07, 2021, 02:22:06 PM
That reminds me of something. I was married almost right after I left home but my older brother stayed. I went back to my old home one day with my wife to see if there was anything I forgot. She waited in the car. He looked at me sheepishly and said, "I don't know if you want to see this." It was a letter from an old girlfriend I hadn't talked to in a couple of years. I should have read it inside because when I get into the car with it and honestly (stupid, I know) told her it was from an old girlfriend, I've never seen her move so fast then or since to grab it out of my hands and open it. And then she wanted me to write a letter back to tell the girl that I was married. So yeah, don't get that picture sent to your home, especially if it's from an old girlfriend. But a new girlfriend would be fine.

And of course, this has nothing to do with Buster's story but there we go.

Even better if your "current" girlfriend/wife supports the thought of a "new" girlfriend

Jason

Quote from: gmiller1977 on May 09, 2021, 10:05:27 PM
Even better if your "current" girlfriend/wife supports the thought of a "new" girlfriend

I couldn't be so lucky! lol But to be honest, taking care of a single woman is hard enough. Two would melt me.

buster

I'm not sure how many times I used the 'good enough' idea in this narrative that my family used as a core philosophy. However, as I age, I think of what I could  put on my grave stone that might catch some attention. I'd like to avoid a line of verse or a comment on life. The 'good enough' philosophy can be applied in other ways. So my grave stone will read:

Buried Here Lies Harry Ellis
               Dead Enough

ssfc72

And merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well, Harry! :-)   Thanks for my chuckle, today.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

A short while ago this 'recovered' desktop decided it had had enough. Not sure how dead it is. As in Princess Bride, "There's dead, and there's really dead."

While it's a desktop in the full sense of the word, or was, it is a much smaller size, and is difficult to work with. This means it may not get worked on, though it is, or was, an excellent system.

All things pass away. Anyway, I'll see. Not sure if Oscar the One-eyed Cyclops still lives there. I'd rather he stayed inside than wandered the house looking for another home.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 11, 2023, 09:53:29 PMA short while ago this 'recovered' desktop decided it had had enough. Not sure how dead it is. As in Princess Bride, "There's dead, and there's really dead."

My condolences on your loss. You can be proud that you kept it alive all this time and saved the energy involved that is used to make a new PC (by the industry, not you). How old was the dearly deceased?

buster

" How old was the dearly deceased?"

Don't really know. It had Win 8 on it when we purchased it for Marilyn.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 14, 2023, 12:56:12 PM" How old was the dearly deceased?"

Don't really know. It had Win 8 on it when we purchased it for Marilyn.

I would imagine at least 12 years then. What was the CPU on it?

buster

"I would imagine at least 12 years then. What was the CPU on it?"

That is too difficult a question at the present moment.