• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Bitdefender Premium VPN Deal

Started by Jason, June 05, 2023, 05:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

Bitdefender, which has free and premium apps for Windows, MacOS, Android and iOS (but sadly not Linux) is offering a $30 plan on its VPN service for the first year]. That's about $2.50/month. It's regularly $70/year and will renew at that rate.

I'm considering getting it for the year period and then cancelling. I suspect when I do, they will offer me another discount to keep me around.

I believe that the $30 rate is in USD. Here's the link:

https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/vpn.html

Btw, the free BitDefender VPN version gives you 200 MB/month for free which is likely enough for using public WiFi for the odd website without SSL (sites that begin with https://) or protecting your online privacy in terms of the websites you visit, etc.

The VPN also has a monthly plan of $6.99/month monthly if you just want to try it out, although they have a 30-day money-back guarantee anyway.

Btw, are others still using a VPN? And if so, which one? Free or paid?

Update: Not available for Linux so moved the deal information here. That makes me sad. They do have EndPoint security for Linux so not sure why they don't have this.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

I still use NordVPN. About the same price. Unlimited download. They are excellent if I have a problem. About my fourth year I guess.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 05, 2023, 06:03:27 PMI still use NordVPN. About the same price. Unlimited download. They are excellent if I have a problem. About my fourth year I guess.

The paid version of Bitdefender VPN is unlimited, too. It's only the free version that limits you to 200 MB. There are some free VPNs with unlimited transfer but I wouldn't use them.

I've heard good things about Nord. Have they been audited for security? Not sure if Bitdefender has been. The best deal I see on the Nord website now is $88 for 2 years. How did you get ~$30? Did you date a past president of the company? Or tell them you're just a retired high school living in poverty? :D
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

My original price was $99 for 3 years. When it came up for renewal at a higher price I complained, told them I was a long time user, and said I wouldn't pay that price. They gave me the original deal again. I do have a US money account and investments in US funds, though not a lot. But it does make it easier for me.

(I work out of Dublin and Seattle usually, though I don't use it that much.)

And it really annoys me that bands I used to follow almost 70 years ago, where all the musicians and composers are  now dead, have music that is owned by lawyers, and acquiring their loved music is still illegal.

Just a note: I don't pay for any specialty sites like Netflix or Disney+.

ninja

Sweet. I guess wisdom and stubborn negotiation skills come with age. :-)

Just a note: We pay for Disney+, CuriosityStream (like $20 for the year), and Prime Video and are proud of it. Netflix kept upping the price so we got rid of it. CuriousityStream is cheap and has a lot of science and history documentaries. And it's only $20/year. Well worth it. So, in total, about $25/month, the price of 10 or so coffees (guessing here) or two movies at the cinema.

Somebody has to pay for the content you guys abscond. :) There are also free streaming services like Pluto, with live and on-demand TV shows albeit with advertising.

Alas, we've gone off-topic. :D

buster

I believe I'm the only absconder.

Try getting jazz from the 50's, musical films from the thirties, opera, detective TV from Australia, BBC shows from say '80 to '2010 etc. If you want 'entertainment' there are many options. If you wish to learn about something from the past, like about the film star Veronica Lake, you'd have to remortgage to wander about in this media. Copyright lasts far too long and doesn't benefit people who died years ago, just the corporations.

Really glad you posted ninja. We have been The Four Musketeer Posters for too long. Now we'll be the Five Musketeer Posters! And readers will get more than

Bill telling us about a black and white war movie
Jason telling us how to vote
Mike explaining how he cut 3.7 seconds on his boot time, and
Harry telling everyone not the use the command line unless absolutely necessary.

Really good to see someone else post. Welcome.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 06, 2023, 04:46:35 PMI believe I'm the only absconder.

Far from it. Maybe you're the only one in the group that mostly posts but a certain member that shall remain nameless did a presentation on how to run software designed specifically for contraband media. I guess you missed it.

Ninja's a good guy. I know him like I know the back of my hand. He's quiet but it's in his name. He doesn't have to say much when his evil twin says it for him. ;)

buster

" a certain member that shall remain nameless did a presentation on how to run software designed specifically for contraband media. I guess you missed it."

I was there, but it was about 8 years ago I think. ?? And the presenter, C. Tots, had his Yukon buddy with him. The interesting thing about his presentation was that it was preset to get all the episodes of say a TV show, so if you missed some, you had a backup copy.

I pay for TV channels, but if I miss an episode I have no problem getting it later. I've already paid for it. But I don't know how to preset except on the TV set

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 08, 2023, 02:14:39 PM" a certain member that shall remain nameless did a presentation on how to run software designed specifically for contraband media. I guess you missed it."

I was there, but it was about 8 years ago I think. ?? And the presenter, C. Tots, had his Yukon buddy with him.

Nope, wasn't Trever and it was one or two years ago. Scott did it over video conference. I'm sure Trevor did something related, too. Even though I wouldn't use it, personally, it was interesting that someone created the software and how it worked. I think it ran on a server if I remember, correctly. Perhaps Scott can jump in with more details.

buster

"Perhaps Scott can jump in with more details."

I'm pretty sure Scott did the presentation quite awhile before Covid. (C. Tots is an anagram of Scott.) The thing that amazed me was that he could pre-program the shows before they were released.

Jason

Quote from: buster on June 18, 2023, 08:21:39 PM"Perhaps Scott can jump in with more details."

I'm pretty sure Scott did the presentation quite awhile before Covid. (C. Tots is an anagram of Scott.) The thing that amazed me was that he could pre-program the shows before they were released.

I remember very well because it was over video conference. But there was more than one type of software that did that kind of thing so you may be thinking of a presentation he did earlier. I mean the pandemic one. I wish I could remember what it was. I'll check to see if Bill make any notes of it.

buster

"I remember very well because it was over video conference."

I didn't watch any of the video conference presentations. I dropped in once in a while to say hi. That's all. Remote learning seems to me to be a contradiction in terms, though I do use YouTube when I can't find someone to talk to about a problem, such as a broken bread machine. Different learning style for me I guess.

It was long ago and not so far away. It was live. Ages since Scott came to a meeting.

Jason

I haven't been to the online MUGs in quite a while but Scott used to come by on a semi-regular basis to those.

There are definitely different learning styles but some topics are great for remote learning; some even work better.  But alas, we've gotten far off-topic!