• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Forest fire smoke in Lindsay

Started by ssfc72, June 05, 2023, 07:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

It was a beautiful warm afternoon yesterday in Lindsay until about 5 pm.
I was outside at one of the parks in Lindsay and then I went inside my cousin's house for about an hour. When I went outside again, to go home, there was an overcast of smoke and you could smell the smoke.

Here is a good link to an animated map of the forest fire smoke of Canada, over a few days. The smoke in Lindsay is from forest fires in Quebec.

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

buster

Thanks Bill. I was just going to post the same site.

It's supposed to be a pretty clear sunny day in Peterborough, but the light coming in our windows has an orange tinge,and it looks like a thinly overcast sky.

According to the map which does a time sequence, we'll probably go in and out of the haze. Wonder if we'll get a week or so of this.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Didn't know it was that bad there, Bill. I hope it improves.

The other night I smelt an acrid smoke smell, like a mixture of burnt plastic and someone barbequing and then I noticed my phone had an air quality advisory.

Google says the air quality in Peterborough right now is moderate. And I can see the same orangy tint to the sky that Buster sees. Didn't know it was so bad in Lindsay. At least we can be thankful that we're not getting a forest fire right in our region and having to evacuate.

Good day to stay inside, particularly if you have asthma or other related conditions. Those N95 masks might come in handy today if you have to go out! My wife was telling me that the news actually suggested just that. It can block the smoke if fit snugly.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

Thanks for the link, Bill. Looks like we're going to hit the worst of it in the early morning hours tomorrow.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13