• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Ubuntu 21.04

Started by fox, April 22, 2021, 03:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Ubuntu 21.04 is now available for download, and I expect that all of the variants will be shortly. I upgraded from Ubuntu 20.10 on my iMac. It didn't show up as available when I looked, so I did it on the command line with "sudo do-release-upgrade -d". The upgrade took less than a half hour, and everything seems OK. The change makes Wayland the default display server. So far, I haven't had any problems with it.

Update: one small thing not working in Weyland - brightness controller, which I use to dim the backlight since the keyboard control doesn't work. However, it still works OK when I use the xorg display server instead of Weyland.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Have you used it long? Any other changes you've noticed or read about that sound interesting?
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

buster

Is this a short or long term security upgrade?
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

fox

This is supported for 9 months, so not an LTS. I don't notice any drastic changes. There is a small change in the default icons, a few new wallpapers, Weyland is the default over xorg (but xorg still an option), default kernel is 5.11 instead of 5.8. If you have Ubuntu 20.10 installed, you might as well update. If you have 20.04 LTS installed, you would have to upgrade in two steps and I don't see any compelling reason to.

If you want to preview the major changes, you'll find plenty of YouTube videos and threads on this topic.

Note that the 21.04 update is now available for all the Ubuntu variants. Perhaps there are more significant changes in some of those; I didn't review this for the variants.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

LTS stands for "long-term support". LTS versions are every two years. The last one was 20.04. Our PLUG server uses 18.04. The next one will be, surprise, surprise... 22.04. They're supported for five years.

I sense a new point release of Linux Mint (20.2) is coming.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

buster

"I sense a new point release of Linux Mint (20.2) is coming."

No sign in their forum that I'll get it soon. Though maybe no reason to use it anyways.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

Each new release of Mint (e.g. Linux Mint 19) is based on the latest Ubuntu LTS. I took that to mean that each point release was based on each Ubuntu version in between (e.g. 19.1, 19.2). I think I thought this because there are 3 Ubuntu releases in between every LTS version but it's possible that part might not be true. The wikipedia page says they will release a new version or point release when it's ready, not to a specific schedule. But I looked at some recent versions and the point releases usually came a couple of months after each new release of Ubuntu.