• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Lubuntu confusion

Started by Jason, April 18, 2021, 07:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I remember doing a presentation on Lubuntu before the shit hit the fan last Spring. So I looked it up again to see what was going on with it and found what I thought was the Lubuntu website featuring an outdated version of Lubuntu and the latest post announcing Lubuntu 19.04. After a bit of investigation, I realized there are two Lubuntu websites but only one that is "official". I just wanted to alert members in case you were checking it out and thought the distro was dead (as I did) because the last version show was so old. You should go to lubuntu.me if you're interested in it. Here's some information about why there are two websites:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1029381/which-lubuntu-website-is-the-correct-one
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Wow, that is confusing. I wonder if it had anything to do with the changeover from lxde to lxqt?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

I don't know. I'm curious, too. That's the only thing that occurs to me but some developers seem to get into holy wars over even minor changes so it might have been something else. In the Debian community, a war broke over what form the bootup scripts should use. That's probably where Devuan came from. It's Debian but still using SysVinit instead of systemd. If you don't know what that's about, neither does 99% of the Linux community or if they know, they don't care.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

gmiller1977

If I remember correctly, Lubuntu was one of the unofficial "spins" that existed.  When Ubuntu started providing funding/infrastructure to "official" spins, they were not included for whatever reason.  Years later, I believe another group became the "official" Lubuntu.  Why they didn't go to the original spin and make them "official" I don't remember.