• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Distro Poll

Started by Jason, April 08, 2021, 05:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

If you're wondering why I'm using this particular order, it's because I'm using the DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking. I want to see if there is any overlap between that ranking and what our members are actually using. The poll will run for 7 days and you'll see the results then. You can also change your vote. After all, who knows? You might distro hop before then.

If 'Other' applies to you, let us know what you're using during or after the poll. I'm curious since some of the distros I'd expect to be popular aren't in the top 14.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

Jason

I'm trying out Peppermint OS but only been with it for a few days. Before that, I was using Linux Lite for many moons.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

For my main notebook computer, I am running Mint 19.1.     But my preferred Distro is MXLinux, which I have running on my Dell XPS 13 notebook computer.  At some point, I will get around to putting MXLinux on my main computer ( Dell Inspiron 14" notebook).
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

The one problem with the poll is that it allows only one choice. My most frequently used distro is Ubuntu, but I am now using Manjaro fairly regularly, as well as the Mac OS. Sadly, I even have to use Windows 10 for some software applications, though only occasionally. Then there are the distros I use on the Raspberry Pi when I do play with it: Raspberry Pi OS and openMediaVault.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

buster

I am in the same situation as Dr Mike. 'Main system' doesn't quite apply. So I hope the following isn't too long winded.

I have 7 computer operating systems (8 if my tablet is included) spread over 3 desktops and 1 laptop.

1. Marilyn has taken over my best desktop running an ancient Mint that has been transferred from computer to computer and now runs all the latest software and the latest Mint edition.

2. My laptop runs Win10 where I do Finances, taxes, and go to various sites where hotels, campgrounds, doctors and gov't might require Windows. The laptop also uses a large virtual Kubuntu system (using VMWare). This Kubuntu has been cloned to the other Windows systems as well.

3. The junk-room desktop is much like the the laptop, with Win10 and Kubuntu, but is wired in directly to the modem, and has large externals speakers for great sound.

4. The tv computer (55 inch 4k screen!) runs Win10 and the same Kubuntu clone in virtual. Very useful at times for movies.

My computers can go for days at a time without use because I'm using my tablet reading books from the library.

So I guess my main OS system is mostly Android, followed by Win10, followed by Kubuntu, and if Marilyn isn't home, Mint.

Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

Jason

I didn't want the poll to get skewed because of multiple machines (especially if you're like Buster) but I relented and changed the poll.

All counts have been reset to zero and you can make multiple choices as well as change them before the poll closes. But note the word "regularly". Don't choose an OS that you installed for fun but aren't actually using for anything. You have a maximum of 5 choices.

Now, make your choices gentlemen.

fox

Much easier to pick, Jason; thanks. I realized that one I forgot is one I use every day: iOS. I have a 2018 iPad Pro, and it is great for reading stuff and checking news. I have a keyboard case with it as well, so this is the device I take with me on holidays. (Along with my phone of course, which is a Samsung S9.)

Given the way you phrased it, I didn't bother listing Mint 20, Raspberry Pi OS or openMediaVault. I have Mint 20 installed on an external drive, but I haven't used Mint in awhile. I like it, but I opted to spend more time with Manjaro KDE instead because it's quite different from Ubuntu. As for the other two, I don't use the Raspberry Pi regularly; I play with it from time to time. That might change if I were to find a project that is either really useful to me, or something that would be fun as a regular hobby.

buster

My other is Kubuntu. We have a fairly long history together.
Growing up from childhood and becoming an adult is highly overrated.

gmiller1977

I tend to stick just to Debian, but, I've needed to fall back on Ubuntu LTS releases in the past for servers.

Glen-VE3LIZ

Hi guys,
I use Kubuntu on my main desktop computer where all my data is stored, and a Dell laptop.  Next most used is OdroidC2 (Mate) which stays on constantly for browsing the internet (weather, news).  Since I have 4 Pis, I use Raspberry Pi OS (not Raspian) on all of thoses quite often.
Only use Windoze 10 on the Dell laptop ,which had to be purchased with that OS on it, when a program has to be run on it because the manufacturer don't know how to write a Posix program.

Nice to see some on the DPCUC meeting the other night
Glen

fox

Quote from: Glen-VE3LIZ on April 09, 2021, 07:09:21 PM
Nice to see some on the DPCUC meeting the other night
Glen

The talk on SD cards was very good and I learned a lot. This is the first DPCUC meeting I attended because it's the first I heard about. I think that 4 or 5 of us attended, but it might have only been Jason and I who are not DPCUC members. At any rate, please let us know on the PLUG website when DPCUC talks are coming up.

tommolica

I'm still on LinuxLite, cause it does everything I want. It is an Ubuntu derivative.
It' getting time to do a total re-install soon, have not decided what to try. Maybe back to Debian.
Would actually like to find a BSD that is easy to install and comes with the GUI ready to go, - if it turns out to be easy to use.
I'm only a distro user, it has to be easy for me, no fancy command line stuff to get it going.
Cheers to all. My new email address is   tom DOT molical AT bell DOT net.

Admin: I mangled your email address a bit, Tom, so your new email address doesn't get harvested (hopefully). I recommend not posting your email address on a website though. That's the #1 way you get spam.

fox

Tom, you might try GhostBSD.

Jason

Quote from: tommolica on April 11, 2021, 02:09:27 PM
I'm still on LinuxLite, cause it does everything I want. It is an Ubuntu derivative.

I was on Linux Lite for several months when my main computer went down (still down) and I needed a lighter Linux distro. I was quite happy with it but got the bug to try something new. Just tried Mageia a couple of days ago (hated it thoroughly) and installed Fedora (the LXDE edition). It has some oddities to it but I might keep it, at least for a while.

ssfc72

Tom, you might want to take a look at NomadBSD.  It is a Live Distro that runs from a USB flash drive and has persistence which means any programs/files you add to the Distro, gets saved for the next boot up.  I tried it briefly on my computer and it worked very well.  Go to the Distrowatch website and look it up. In the listing you can find a very nice, recent review of version 1.3 , by Jesse Smith.  It can be installed to the harddrive but Jesse had some issues, when he did that.

Quote from: tommolica on April 11, 2021, 02:09:27 PM
It' getting time to do a total re-install soon, have not decided what to try. Maybe back to Debian.
Would actually like to find a BSD that is easy to install and comes with the GUI ready to go, - if it turns out to be easy to use.
I'm only a distro user, it has to be easy for me, no fancy command line stuff to get it going.
Cheers to all. My new email address is   tom DOT molical AT bell DOT net.

Admin: I mangled your email address a bit, Tom, so your new email address doesn't get harvested (hopefully). I recommend not posting your email address on a website though. That's the #1 way you get spam.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service