Author Topic: Raspberry Pi headless setup  (Read 156 times)

Offline fox

• Posting Member
Raspberry Pi headless setup
« on: April 06, 2021, 01:01:38 pm »
Here is a good, easy to follow article on how to set up your Raspberry Pi and run it headless.
Ubuntu 21.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 20.04 and 18.04 on Dell XPS 13 2 in 1

Offline Jason

• President
  • Administrator
  • Humanist. Skeptic. Husband.
Re: Raspberry Pi headless setup
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 01:32:46 pm »
That's cool. Looks very beginner-friendly. One criticism though. For the love of God, don't use Putty. Linux already has a built-in SSH client and it's really not that hard to use. There's no need for putty. I believe Windows' Powershell also has ssh. Just type:

ssh pi@100.110.120.130

(substitute pi with whatever username you have if it's not the default and the actual IP address. You can also add an entry to /etc/hosts so that the IP address can be represented by something 'foxmulder' so you do:

ssh pi@foxmulder

The rest is fine although you can set up X-forwarding over ssh which may give you better performance than VNC. Somewhere there are presentation notes I gave on using ssh. You should also set up a static IP so that if your router is rebooted, you can still get into the Pi. I think my notes showed how to do this but you can google it. It's easy.

"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Offline fox

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 02:00:02 pm »
Thanks, Jason. Now that you mention it, I think I did follow your instructions when I set up my Pi to work headless. I was only doing it to play around and my Pi isn't connected to anything right now. I put it aside, but I'll have to get back to it.
Ubuntu 21.04 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 20.04 and 18.04 on Dell XPS 13 2 in 1

Offline ssfc72

• Posting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 04:48:07 am »
Thanks Fox for the Link to the RPi headless article. I have bookmarked it on my computer.
Mint 19.1 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MX Linux)
Cellphone ZTE Axon 7 Mini, PCMobile pay as you go

Offline ssfc72

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 04:50:35 am »
Thanks Jason for your tip about using SSH on the RPi. I will have to fire up my RPi and try those commands.

That's cool. Looks very beginner-friendly. One criticism though. For the love of God, don't use Putty. Linux already has a built-in SSH client and it's really not that hard to use. There's no need for putty. I believe Windows' Powershell also has ssh. Just type:

ssh pi@100.110.120.130

(substitute pi with whatever username you have if it's not the default and the actual IP address. You can also add an entry to /etc/hosts so that the IP address can be represented by something 'foxmulder' so you do:

ssh pi@foxmulder

The rest is fine although you can set up X-forwarding over ssh which may give you better performance than VNC. Somewhere there are presentation notes I gave on using ssh. You should also set up a static IP so that if your router is rebooted, you can still get into the Pi. I think my notes showed how to do this but you can google it. It's easy.
Mint 19.1 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MX Linux)
Cellphone ZTE Axon 7 Mini, PCMobile pay as you go

Offline gmiller1977

• Posting Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 03:20:12 pm »
Hey!  I like PuTTY!  :P

Offline Jason

• President
  • Administrator
  • Humanist. Skeptic. Husband.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 06:36:02 pm »
Hey!  I like PuTTY!  :P

We're not talking about the silly kind!
"With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world." - Max Ehrmann, Desiderata