• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Raspberry Pi headless setup

Started by fox, April 06, 2021, 01:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fox

Here is a good, easy to follow article on how to set up your Raspberry Pi and run it headless.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

That's cool. Looks very beginner-friendly. One criticism though. For the love of God, don't use Putty. Linux already has a built-in SSH client and it's really not that hard to use. There's no need for putty. I believe Windows' Powershell also has ssh. Just type:

ssh pi@100.110.120.130

(substitute pi with whatever username you have if it's not the default and the actual IP address. You can also add an entry to /etc/hosts so that the IP address can be represented by something 'foxmulder' so you do:

ssh pi@foxmulder

The rest is fine although you can set up X-forwarding over ssh which may give you better performance than VNC. Somewhere there are presentation notes I gave on using ssh. You should also set up a static IP so that if your router is rebooted, you can still get into the Pi. I think my notes showed how to do this but you can google it. It's easy.

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

fox

Thanks, Jason. Now that you mention it, I think I did follow your instructions when I set up my Pi to work headless. I was only doing it to play around and my Pi isn't connected to anything right now. I put it aside, but I'll have to get back to it.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

Thanks Fox for the Link to the RPi headless article. I have bookmarked it on my computer.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

ssfc72

Thanks Jason for your tip about using SSH on the RPi. I will have to fire up my RPi and try those commands.

Quote from: Jason on April 06, 2021, 01:32:46 PM
That's cool. Looks very beginner-friendly. One criticism though. For the love of God, don't use Putty. Linux already has a built-in SSH client and it's really not that hard to use. There's no need for putty. I believe Windows' Powershell also has ssh. Just type:

ssh pi@100.110.120.130

(substitute pi with whatever username you have if it's not the default and the actual IP address. You can also add an entry to /etc/hosts so that the IP address can be represented by something 'foxmulder' so you do:

ssh pi@foxmulder

The rest is fine although you can set up X-forwarding over ssh which may give you better performance than VNC. Somewhere there are presentation notes I gave on using ssh. You should also set up a static IP so that if your router is rebooted, you can still get into the Pi. I think my notes showed how to do this but you can google it. It's easy.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

gmiller1977

Jason

* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13