• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Looking for Password Manager recommendations

Started by Jason, March 31, 2021, 02:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

I've been having issues with my usual password manager, LastPass, and am considering moving to something else. Been looking at reviews and there appears to be a lot of choices and options, so many as to be confusing. The only features I must have are 2FA and syncing across multiple devices. Password generation is a plus but I have another way of doing it so it's not critical. Any suggestions from my geek squad? It doesn't have to be free although having a free version would be good for testing purposes until I know it's good enough, even with a limited number of passwords.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

gmiller1977

I'd be interested if anyone has input.  I still use KeePass for my password management.  It's great, but lacks most of the requirements that Jason is looking for.

ssfc72

I have been using KeepassX for several years now. I am using Linux as my OS and very rarely need to run the Windows OS.
As you say, KeepassX may not meet Jason's needs but I don't really need to have a password manager that syncs up with all my other devices.
On my main computer I do  have the encrypted keepassx file stored in my Dropbox folder and when I alter the keepassx file on my main computer, I also make sure I update Dropbox to the Cloud.
Then if I happen to need access to the keepassx manager on my cell phone, I just fetch the file from my Dropbox Cloud account,
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

At the beginning of my using password management, I started using Keepass but a browser-based password manager is much easier to use. I have LastPass set to even log into some sites for me as soon as I go to them. So it does the username and the password all at once. Thanks, anyway.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Yikes, I hope your browser doesn't auto log into your banking webpage.  If someone was to get access to your computer and gets by your OS login, then they would be able to fire up the browser and auto login to those web sites.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Quote from: ssfc72 on April 03, 2021, 09:01:45 AM
Yikes, I hope your browser doesn't auto log into your banking webpage.  If someone was to get access to your computer and gets by your OS login, then they would be able to fire up the browser and auto login to those web sites.

That's going to be pretty difficult. I still need to log into the password manager for this capability. And I use a super-strong (like crazy exponentially-strong, would take supercomputers to break it) master password and a 2FA authentication key I carry only on my person. I never stay logged into my password manager longer than a browsing session. I've thought about all this stuff, Bill. :) I always say to myself what if somebody stole my computer? What would they have access to? Other than my boring files, not much, certainly not anything useful for financials.

ssfc72

Ok, that's good.  Having to provide a password to your LastPass, each session you use it with your browser, and the 2FA, would certainly provide the necessary security.

Jason

Yeah, it's not two-factor if I have the first factor signed in already. :) I have to protect my millions!

I haven't really looked into it but I understand there is some possible Linux support for requiring the 2FA key to log in along with the password. I'll have to investigate some time.