• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Digital photos and hidden information - a good BBC article

Started by ssfc72, March 25, 2021, 08:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210324-the-hidden-fingerprint-inside-your-photos

A very informative article about the hidden info in digital photos, that cameras take.
Most people know about the hidden meta data stored in a digital photo but there is also info that can be gleaned from the individual photon receptors in each photo sensor chip of individual cameras.

It is like how a gun can be identified, by the scratch marks on a bullet, from a gun, that the gun barrel makes.

Each digital camera photo sensor has millions of photo receptors, that each produce a charge when a photon hits the receptor.  No two photo sensors are alike, in the amount of charge that gets produced, when a photon strikes a photo receptor.  The different charge produced, between photo sensors is very small, but that difference can be used to identify an individual camera and the images it takes.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Fascinating article. It alludes to the way that printers can also be identified via their printouts, as well, something I mentioned in another post. It's quite interesting that they actually used it to find McAfee. I believe he's wanted for murder unless I'm mistaken. Definitely, good use of this information in that case, unless you're McAfee!
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13