• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

2020 Income Tax Filing program - All good things must come to an end, StudioTax

Started by ssfc72, March 07, 2021, 01:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

The MyTaxExpress has a, save to pdf,  menu item, in order to create a pdf file of the Tax Return.

The MyTaxExpress website, has a FAQ that deals with pdf's not being created.  The website may be a little out of date.  It says the tax program comes with the JRE program, but it was not anywhere in the MyTaxExpress folder, where it said it was to be found.
There was also instructions on the web page about how to download the Oracle JRE, but that appeared to be a very old version.
This FAQ help may have been for the Windose version of MyTaxExpress.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

Does it have a print option? If so, what happens if you say print? Do you get a print dialogue that gives you a choice of what to print to? One of the options should be 'Save to PDF' or something. Try that if it's available.

If I read the downloads section right you have one file for MyTaxExpress and it's in a format called an AppImage. You can tell by looking for the extension .AppImage. Unlike, say an rpm or deb file, it contains everything you need to run the program and is the same no matter what Linux version you're using. It's a handy way for developers to avoid having to worry about dependencies in different Linux distros and for users you don't have to worry about having to install dependencies. So there won't be anything there but that. I have a couple of programs that are available as AppImages myself - Todoist (not a typo) and Tutanota email client. I just click on them and choose Execute.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Thanks for the help, Jason.
Yes, the download file is an AppImage.  I have to open that file, each time I want to run the program.

The 2 choices to create a hard copy of the completed Tax Return are to create a pdf file or to produce a "bar coded return" for sending to the CRA.   I tried the bar coded option and got the same error codes.

Tomorrow, I will try and install the AppImage file, on another Linux Distro.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

Well, that's unfortunate. :( I don't think installing on another Linux distro will make any difference. The point of AppImage files is that you can use them with any distro. Everything that the program needs should be inside the AppImage. It's like having a .deb or .rpm package but with all of its dependencies built in. But it's worth a shot if you don't have to install one. Or maybe the Windows version would work under Wine.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

I am hoping that MyTaxExpress will fix their Linux AppImage for next year, to get the print function to work.

fox

Since I have the program installed (on Ubuntu), I wanted to check the print function. It gave me a message about using the 1-return license, so I didn't take it any further. Did you get that far, Bill?
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

ssfc72

I paid the $7 fee, in order to net file and print my 2020 tax return. So I didn't run into that message.

ssfc72

Update -  Yesterday I downloaded the applimage file for the 2020 MyTaxExpress program, from their website and I discovered that the creation of a pdf file, of my Income Tax Return now works. Yey, :-)

For Linux users, there are 2 different appimage files to chose from. One program uses SSL 1.1 and the other, for older Linux, uses SSL 1.0.
I went into my Mint 19.1 Synaptic program and it showed that Mint was using SSL 1.0,  so I downloaded the older appimage.

Jason

That's good to hear, Bill. I have yet to my brother's tax return. He's only getting about $150 back but I should still get on that. :)