• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

PLUG Mug Jitsi video meet-up, Wednesday, March 3, 7:30 pm

Started by ssfc72, February 28, 2021, 09:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

Hi everyone. I am going to try for a Jitsi video group chat for this Wednesday. evening.

While I would start the video chat at 7:30 pm, feel free to join in at 8 pm, if that is better suited for you.

I will need to know if at least 2 other people are interested, by 4 pm Wed,, otherwise I will cancel the chat.
If the video chat is a go, I expect it will probably continue until at least 9 pm.
I will email the video chat login Link info, at around 7:15 pm Tues.

regards
Bill (ssfc72)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

ssfc72

Ok, looks like we have enough people interested for a video meet-up, so the Jitsi video meet-up for Wed. evening is a go. :-)
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

Jason

I remember back when it was hard to get 2 people to a meeting. Glad that's changed. We'll have to spend more time talking about Linux or Computers than COVID next time. Not that it wasn't an interesting discussion; I just think I'm getting COVID fatigue from hearing so much about it.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

Jason

i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

There was Brian P., Hugh, Kal, Lloyd and myself at the video meet-up last evening. It was a very informative meeting and Brian and I bowed out at around 9:30 pm.

Brian brought up the topic of his purchase of a new Asus wireless router that had the wifi 6 or AX protocol and how pleased he was with the wireless speeds he is getting. Brian snagged a really good price for the wireless router at Newegg, I think it was.

This was very good info for me to know about wifi 6/AX, since I wasn't aware of this newer wifi protocol.

Brian also talked briefly on the use of the "ethernet over house wiring" wallwarts, that plug into your house wall plugs and allow you to use your house wiring to send an ethernet data stream to a remote location, in your house.

Other topics discussed were about how power outages to your home can damage your computer/electronics gear.  Brian has had this happen and Kal said he swears by the use of a UPS, to protect your most critical equipment from powerline failures/spikes.

Android analyzer apps that show you all the wifi signals that your phone is detecting can be useful to see where there might be interference occurring with your home wifi network.

LLyod spoke about his bad/good experiences with ISP/media providers such as Bell and Rogers.

Jason

A new discussion on Powerline Networking (ethernet over house wiring) was spun out of this one so I moved it to a new topic here:

https://plugintolinux.ca/forum/index.php/topic,1448.0.html