• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

Science/Current issues blog?

Started by Jason, February 15, 2021, 03:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason

If I created a blog with my thoughts about science and current events, maybe politics occasionally, would any of you read it?

If not that, how about a podcast where hopefully I can find some experts on various subjects of public interest but mostly science and stopping the spread of misinformation about scientific issues? I could interview you about the work you do, Fox, and perhaps environmental science generally.

Let me know what you think of me writing a blog or doing podcasts. Another thought is doing tech reviews but I'd have to get companies to send me stuff (that I'd probably have to send back). Thoughts?

I'm looking at it as more of a hobby than something I'd make income from although that'd be nice, too.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

ssfc72

I would be interested in things that had a local (Peterborough, Kawarthas areas) interest.
Things like how Peterborough has lost many industries, since the 60's , 70's.  General Electric , Outboard Marine Corporation (outboard motors, Pioneer chainsaws, snowmobiles, lawnmowers etc), DeLaval (stainless steel dairy equipment), Ovalteen, Domtar (paper products, Westclock, etc, etc.

Edit:  Peterborough practicality revolved around General Electric which at one point had 6,000 employees.   I think the Shriners in Peterborough, in the 60's and 70's was largely made up of the management people from GE.
Back in those days the Shriners would hold a large parade, every summer and they also brought a large circus to Peterborough Memorial centre.  My dad was in the GE Management and I don't think he really wanted to be a Shriner, but I think the GE management pressured him to join up. :-)  ( Of course there was cost of membership and the cost to support the various activities the Masons did to help people).
I have a very short 8mm home movie clip of the Shriners parade, which I think started from the GE factory.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

Jason

I didn't know had a local Masons chapter. You mean the Stonemasons, right? The secretive fraternity?

I think it's a good idea for someone to do that but it wouldn't really interest me. Too much research involved. I want to do something that's easier to put together. But thanks for the suggestion.

Btw, my dad worked at Outboard Marine most of his life as a steelworker. My friend's dad worked at DeLaval. I never knew what they actually made. I remember as a child going to the Labour Day Picnic with him. It was a lot of fun. There was a ride or two if I recall correctly, snacks, barbeque and sweet snacks, and magicians and prizes. I won $50 once and used it to go and buy a small telescope from K-Mart (where Canadian Tire is now). You should convert that home movie clip to digital, Bill.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

Jason

The Peterborough Historical Society should have a lot of information about the history of factories in Peterborough if you're interested. Our own Elwood Jones has compiled at least one or two books with photographs from Peterborough years ago. I never checked to see if they have a website but they used to meet monthly and had quite an extensive newsletter.

ssfc72

Oops a slight correction.  It was the Shriners, that my dad belonged to.  The Shriners were Masons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriners

They had an Arabic theme to their organization and wore red fezzes that they wore during Club activities.  Also, Arabic curved broad sword and Arabic costumes, in their parade.  They also drove mini/toy cars in their parades.
They were noted for their many childrens hospitals that they operated.

Yes, I have the home movie clip, saved as a digital video. :-)

I worked at OMC for 4 1/2 years  (1972-1976), serving my apprenticeship as a Machine Tool Fitter (Maintenance Millwright). I was in the Steelworker Union at OMC.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on February 15, 2021, 11:30:15 PM
The Peterborough Historical Society should have a lot of information about the history of factories in Peterborough if you're interested. Our own Elwood Jones has compiled at least one or two books with photographs from Peterborough years ago. I never checked to see if they have a website but they used to meet monthly and had quite an extensive newsletter.
Elwood Jones had a regular column in the Peterborough Examiner, in which he covered local history. I don't know if he still writes for them, but I found a bunch of writing he did for them in May 2020 (here). He is the archivist at Trent Valley Archives, and a retired Trent History professor.
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

Jason

Oh, I see now. I didn't realize "masonic" was a term for a type of fraternity. I was thinking of the Freemasons. I remember seeing the mini-cars. I think they ride them in the Canada Day parade. It'll be nice when we can have that again. And that's cool that you worked at OMC for a number of years. I hadn't realized that. Did you go to GE right after that, Bill?

Thanks for the info, Fox. I remember his columns. He wrote frequently for the Peterborough Historical Association in their newsletter and was always at their meetings, often speaking. I attended a few meetings. I was the youngest person there and probably still would be! They filled the basement meeting room at the library. I think about 200 or so attended. Rare to see such an organization with such high attendance on a regular basis.

gmiller1977

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on February 15, 2021, 03:22:19 PM
If I created a blog with my thoughts about science and current events, maybe politics occasionally, would any of you read it?

If not that, how about a podcast where hopefully I can find some experts on various subjects of public interest but mostly science and stopping the spread of misinformation about scientific issues? I could interview you about the work you do, Fox, and perhaps environmental science generally.

Let me know what you think of me writing a blog or doing podcasts. Another thought is doing tech reviews but I'd have to get companies to send me stuff (that I'd probably have to send back). Thoughts?

I'm looking at it as more of a hobby than something I'd make income from although that'd be nice, too.

Why not?  Go for it.

Jason

Quote from: gmiller1977 on February 17, 2021, 12:14:48 AM
Why not?  Go for it.

Would you be more interested in a podcast or a blog? Or, are you just saying, "go for it" generally as encouragement, which I also appreciate. :)

gmiller1977

Personally, I'm a reader, not a listener.

Jason

Quote from: gmiller1977 on February 17, 2021, 07:38:59 PM
Personally, I'm a reader, not a listener.

Same here. Thanks for your input.