• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

$2000 to $3500 to replace a car headlight, that has burned out. Ouch!!!

Started by ssfc72, February 13, 2021, 12:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssfc72

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-woman-who-drives-mercedes-will-need-to-pay-7-000-to-fix-headlights-1.5305676

You might want to think twice before you purchase a top end model of a car, which has a lot of high tech features, such as headlights that swivel, when you go around a curve in the road.

Even a model 2017, Subaru Impreza Sport, costs $2000, to replace a burnt out or damaged headlight!!
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

fox

I used to be able to replace a headlight by buying one for about $20 at Canadian Tire and installing it myself.  >:(
Ubuntu 23.10 on 2019 5k iMac
Ubuntu 22.04 on Dell XPS 13

William

I could understand the top brands, but Subaru Impreza?  That's their low end model.

Jason

Yikes! I'm guessing it's expensive because it's fancy and likely patented. I agree that this is probably a good warning against buying cars that have fancier features. And maybe even getting quotes from a mechanic ahead of time for what it costs to replace parts most likely to wear out. The same as it's a good idea before buying a printer to find out what the cartridges cost when doing comparisons. I don't feel bad for the lady that had a Mercedes. You have to know that with high-end cars like that it's going to cost a lot to replace parts, even headlights.
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

gmiller1977

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 13, 2021, 12:49:13 AM
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-woman-who-drives-mercedes-will-need-to-pay-7-000-to-fix-headlights-1.5305676

You might want to think twice before you purchase a top end model of a car, which has a lot of high tech features, such as headlights that swivel, when you go around a curve in the road.

Even a model 2017, Subaru Impreza Sport, costs $2000, to replace a burnt out or damaged headlight!!

NOTHING is cheap on a car today, although, I don't understand the Subaru, because back then there was nothing special about their headlights.

A lot of this comes down to common sense, in my opinion.  If you are going to LEASE a vehicle... never lease it longer than what the full bumper to bumper warranty is.  On a Mercedes, I think that's 4 years / 120000km.  A lot of people go for a badge to impress people around them.  If you want to do that, that's ok, just make sure you are within your warranty period so you can claim this stuff.  Design defects DO exist on ALL brands.  Stay within the full coverage of the warranty, and it's not an issue.

I leased a Lexus for my wife for her 40th birthday.  Could I afford a Lexus?  Yes.  Do I want to eat the long term depreciation and deal with high end maintenance?  No.  So the deal I arranged will allow her to have fun, zoom fast, have some luxury, all in a package that she won't go over mileage, and I don't have to worry about $7000 headlights if they fail :)

If I was this chick, I think I'd just take a hammer to my headlight and file an insurance claim lol

Jason

Quote from: gmiller1977 on February 16, 2021, 07:10:06 PM
I leased a Lexus for my wife for her 40th birthday.  Could I afford a Lexus?  Yes.

Which model did you get her? I see they have some models that aren't that expensive (for a Lexus anyway) at about $40K.
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card

ssfc72

Unfortunately for the lady whose leased Mercedes had the crack/defect in the headlight lens, she will have to pay $7000 for the fix, before she turns in the car, when the lease ends in a few weeks. :-(
I guess the Mercedes warranty does not cover that damage/defect.

Quote from: gmiller1977 on February 16, 2021, 07:10:06 PM
NOTHING is cheap on a car today, although, I don't understand the Subaru, because back then there was nothing special about their headlights.

A lot of this comes down to common sense, in my opinion.  If you are going to LEASE a vehicle... never lease it longer than what the full bumper to bumper warranty is.  On a Mercedes, I think that's 4 years / 120000km.  A lot of people go for a badge to impress people around them.  If you want to do that, that's ok, just make sure you are within your warranty period so you can claim this stuff.  Design defects DO exist on ALL brands.  Stay within the full coverage of the warranty, and it's not an issue.

I leased a Lexus for my wife for her 40th birthday.  Could I afford a Lexus?  Yes.  Do I want to eat the long term depreciation and deal with high end maintenance?  No.  So the deal I arranged will allow her to have fun, zoom fast, have some luxury, all in a package that she won't go over mileage, and I don't have to worry about $7000 headlights if they fail :)

If I was this chick, I think I'd just take a hammer to my headlight and file an insurance claim lol
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

William

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on February 18, 2021, 10:02:49 PM
Which model did you get her? I see they have some models that aren't that expensive (for a Lexus anyway) at about $40K.
Are you sure you surfed Canadian site?  All Lexus are expensive.

Jason

Quote from: William on February 20, 2021, 08:10:14 PM
Are you sure you surfed Canadian site?  All Lexus are expensive.

Sure did. Expensive is a relative term. For me, any car is expensive when you and your spouse live on $20K/year. :) If you mean they all cost more than the average then look at this: According to J.D. Power Canada as reported by Auto123.com, the average price of a car just passed over the $40K mark. I don't know if that's really typical for the average person buying a car but 5 of the 13 Lexus models are between $40 and $50 K. One is priced at $38K.

ssfc72

So a minor price adjustment has to be added to the MSRP listed on the Link to the CND web site. :-)

On top of the listed price for a car, you would also be charged a mandatory price of $2200 for freight and a government air conditioning tax. Then of course there is the GST to add on ( around $5,700 and up) .  This info is in the legal fine print, on the web page.

Jason

Good to know, Bill. Thanks. It's something to keep in mind if I ever get a car. I'd have to find the actual J.D. Power report to see how they came up with the average number (i.e. does it include freight, A/C tax and other taxes) for a better comparison. But I'm not an autophile and with and with no immediate interest in buying a car (or ability), I have little incentive. So I'll leave that to somebody else. :)

William

Before COVID, I was planning to shop around for a new car about this time, and I was eyeing Subara Impreza, their low end model.  Now, it's less urgent.

gmiller1977

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on February 18, 2021, 10:02:49 PM

Hi Jason.

I got her an IS 300 AWD.  I didn't pay for the extras of "navigation" (the maps are always out of date anyway), but otherwise it's loaded.

I have to admit, for the price (I don't recall off the top of my head but it was around $50k), it really is amazing.  I debated about getting her an SUV from them, but, I figured the girl needed to go fast at least once in her life, and the IS does that for sure.  Service from the dealership is phenominal.  She has her own personal "assistant" at the dealership to answer questions.

Where we live, we need AWD/4x4.  I'm still driving my 2010 Ford Ranger :)

When you stop and think about it, the extra few thousand on a new vehicle isn't that much (given the cost of North American brands), and she's pleased with it; and to me, that's all that matters.

I think next time, when we move to our cabin off grid, I'll probably look a a Subaru Crosstrek.  We'll go down to one vehicle, but having AWD and some towing power will be handy.

gmiller1977

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 19, 2021, 05:41:07 AM
Unfortunately for the lady whose leased Mercedes had the crack/defect in the headlight lens, she will have to pay $7000 for the fix, before she turns in the car, when the lease ends in a few weeks. :-(
I guess the Mercedes warranty does not cover that damage/defect.

Headlights are covered under a safety. 

If there was a massive problem with them, and lots of owners were having them replaced, there would be a recall.

I think she leased a vehicle and had some bad luck.  If you lease a vehicle, make sure you're covered for the period of the lease.

gmiller1977