• Welcome to Peterborough Linux User Group (Canada) Forum.

$2000 to $3500 to replace a car headlight, that has burned out. Ouch!!!

Started by ssfc72, February 13, 2021, 12:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmiller1977

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 21, 2021, 08:26:37 AM
So a minor price adjustment has to be added to the MSRP listed on the Link to the CND web site. :-)

On top of the listed price for a car, you would also be charged a mandatory price of $2200 for freight and a government air conditioning tax. Then of course there is the GST to add on ( around $5,700 and up) .  This info is in the legal fine print, on the web page.

On a lease, taxes are only applied to the consumed portion of the sale.

gmiller1977

Quote from: William on February 21, 2021, 11:13:13 PM
Before COVID, I was planning to shop around for a new car about this time, and I was eyeing Subara Impreza, their low end model.  Now, it's less urgent.

Subaru is good.  That's what I'll be looking at the next time.  Not the Impreza, but the Crosstrek (Impreza platform, just with a higher ride height).  I need to tow.

ssfc72

Thanks for the info, about the GST being based on the monthly lease payment. Good to know

Quote from: gmiller1977 on February 23, 2021, 08:00:44 PM
On a lease, taxes are only applied to the consumed portion of the sale.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)
Cellphone Samsung A50, Koodo pre paid service

ssfc72

Watch out for the OEM car battery, mine failed just outside the 3 year waranty.  Typically I have gotten 7 years out of a OEM car battery before they fail.

I was complaining about the battery while the 2016 Outback was under the 3 year warranty and had them test it, but the dealer said it was good.  The battery was spewing out sulphic acid fumes and corrosion was all over the battery metal hold down clamp.
The battery failed the next year when the during a service the dealer said the battery was sulphated and should be replaced at a cost of $200.  I of course went to Canadian Tire and got a good battery for a lot less.

I also think the sulpuric fumes got on the steel air conditioning line, that ran below the battery and ate a hole in the steel line.  Cost me $600 at the Subaru dealer, to find the air conditioning problem and replace the steel line and the 2 air conditioning freon charges required.

A Google search of my Outback battery problem, shows that early failure of Subaru OEM car batteries is a known issue.

Quote from: gmiller1977 on February 23, 2021, 08:02:09 PM
Subaru is good.  That's what I'll be looking at the next time.  Not the Impreza, but the Crosstrek (Impreza platform, just with a higher ride height).  I need to tow.
Mint 20.3 on a Dell 14" Inspiron notebook, HP Pavilion X360, 11" k120ca notebook (Linux Lubuntu), Dell 13" XPS notebook computer (MXLinux)

gmiller1977

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 24, 2021, 04:04:00 AM
Watch out for the OEM car battery, mine failed just outside the 3 year waranty.  Typically I have gotten 7 years out of a OEM car battery before they fail.

I was complaining about the battery while the 2016 Outback was under the 3 year warranty and had them test it, but the dealer said it was good.  The battery was spewing out sulphic acid fumes and corrosion was all over the battery metal hold down clamp.
The battery failed the next year when the during a service the dealer said the battery was sulphated and should be replaced at a cost of $200.  I of course went to Canadian Tire and got a good battery for a lot less.

I also think the sulpuric fumes got on the steel air conditioning line, that ran below the battery and ate a hole in the steel line.  Cost me $600 at the Subaru dealer, to find the air conditioning problem and replace the steel line and the 2 air conditioning freon charges required.

A Google search of my Outback battery problem, shows that early failure of Subaru OEM car batteries is a known issue.

It was probably other manufacturers having the problem too... Subuaru doesn't make their own batteries, they'll farm it out to another group.

I had a pin prick sized hole on the weld of the compressor of the A/C for my Ranger a few years ago.  No idea how it got there, but I know the costs for doing AC work, and it sucks LOL.  Otherwise, what do you think of your Subaru?

ssfc72

So far, I like the Outback very much. It has the  2.5L engine and it has impressive get up and go.  I get over 42 MPG on the highway, in the summer time and that is impressive for an all wheel drive.
I only have 55,000 Km on the vehicle, at this point.

William

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 24, 2021, 02:39:54 PM
So far, I like the Outback very much. It has the  2.5L engine and it has impressive get up and go.  I get over 42 MPG on the highway, in the summer time and that is impressive for an all wheel drive.
I only have 55,000 Km on the vehicle, at this point.
42 MPG = 5.6L/100km.  That's diesel territory!   Subaru comes with only 3 years warranty compared to 4 or 5 years on other brands.  How much did that weigh on your decision to go with the car?

ssfc72

The measly 3 year warranty was a consideration for me but due for the Subaru reputation for being a well built vehicle, I took the hit of not having 2 extra years of warranty.

Quote from: William on February 24, 2021, 10:41:54 PM
42 MPG = 5.6L/100km.  That's diesel territory!   Subaru comes with only 3 years warranty compared to 4 or 5 years on other brands.  How much did that weigh on your decision to go with the car?

gmiller1977

Quote from: ssfc72 on February 25, 2021, 03:57:15 AM
The measly 3 year warranty was a consideration for me but due for the Subaru reputation for being a well built vehicle, I took the hit of not having 2 extra years of warranty.

Subaru's warranty isn't drastically different from anyone else in their segment.  3 year 60000km full warranty, 5 year 100000km powertrain.  Same as Chevy, Honda, Ford, Toyota.

ssfc72

Oh, I just remembered, shortly after I had bought the Outback, I got a letter from Subaru saying that they were extending the powertrain warranty to 10 years.  The Outback has the relatively new design, CVT transmission.  The letter said there was nothing wrong with the transmission, that would cause them to extend the drivetrain warranty.

I have kept their letter in the glovebox of the car,  just in case I might need proof of the extended warranty, someday. :-)

gmiller1977

Yeah, Subaru was using Jatco transmissions in vehicles that were CVT based back then.  They had some pretty serious design issues when used in Nissan/Infinity. 

Subaru engineers upgraded the base Jatco designs (thankfully), so they were far better.  Some still had some problems.  Just make sure you're doing the maintenance on them and you'll be fine.  Our Prius has a CVT, and while it is exciting to drive as a slice of wet bread, they are very fuel efficient, especially at low RPM.

Subaru makes their own CVTs now. :)

Jason

This is quite the topic. Didn't know so many of you guys were car geeks, too. :)
* Zorin OS 17.1 Core and Windows 11 Pro on a Dell Precision 3630 Tower with an
i5-8600 3.1 GHz 6-core processor, dual 22" displays, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB Nvme and a Geforce 1060 6 GB card
* Motorola Edge (2022) phone with Android 13

William

Quote from: gmiller1977 on February 28, 2021, 01:37:48 PM
Our Prius has a CVT, and while it is exciting to drive as a slice of wet bread, they are very fuel efficient, especially at low RPM.
Before COVID, fuel efficiency was the most important factor, because I do 120km daily commute.  I was looking at cheap hybrids, like Kia Nero and Hyundai Ioniq.   After COVID, even if we go back to work, I expect to continue to work from home, for most things.  So, factors shifted towards safety and comfort.  If there are no repairs, then Subaru wins.  But, I never had a car that didn't need repairs.

gmiller1977

Quote from: William on February 28, 2021, 09:11:28 PM
Before COVID, fuel efficiency was the most important factor, because I do 120km daily commute.  I was looking at cheap hybrids, like Kia Nero and Hyundai Ioniq.   After COVID, even if we go back to work, I expect to continue to work from home, for most things.  So, factors shifted towards safety and comfort.  If there are no repairs, then Subaru wins.  But, I never had a car that didn't need repairs.

I hear you.  That's part of the reason we got the Prius, I was going into Toronto from Bobcaygeon almost a couple of times a week.  It's a great car for long drives, sure beats the gas that my 4.0L V6 Ford Ranger uses..... but, you can't haul firewood with a Prius, or move ATVs either LOL.  The new AWD Prius is interesting, and if gas is $1.40+ a litre the hybrid system starts to pay for itself.  Otherwise, forget it.  It is fun to drive to Ottawa and back on a tank of gas though.

All cars need repairs, but, I've been pretty lucky with most of my vehicles.

My Ranger is a 2010.  I've done work on the AC ($600), replaced seals (axels and drive shaft), font bearings (pricey because it's 4X4), and had to do a pulley for the AC clutch last year.  MOST of the work I do on it is CHEAP.... under $100 in parts and labour.  But it's a 2010 that hauls firewood, gravel, toys, and stuff.  It has almost 175,000km.

I've done nothing other than maintenance and a recall on the Prius (2014).  It's got almost 165,000km

Lexus can worry about the Lexus while my girl drives it.

Next time I would seriously consider a Crosstrek.... but I worry I would miss the bed of a pickup.

gmiller1977

Quote from: Jason Wallwork on February 28, 2021, 08:25:22 PM
This is quite the topic. Didn't know so many of you guys were car geeks, too. :)

I love cars.

I so miss going to the Autoshow.  COVID broke an almost 20 year streak my business partner and I had going down to it.